Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 b5.5 1.8 I used to have this problem on my rear passenger side, the cabin air filter gasket was messed up and water was leaking from that under the firewall out of the vents, I got that taken care off now the other side the driver rear passenger floor gets wet. I opened it up took off carpet seat and plastic stuff poured buckets of water nothing! then a week later we get a lot of rain I check carpet its soaking wet. I lifted the door seal and I can see that its filled with water. Literally there is water inside the seal.

< not my car. if i lift the seal up there is water inside the channel. My question is has anybody ever had this problem before, How do I figure out where the water is coming from?

I cleaned all the rain drains all around the car checked and cleaned cabin air filter seal ecu box seal and I got nothing so far water isnt coming from the air vents it leaks somewhere from the door. Could my door seal be messed up? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
When it rains, some of the water running down the window glass will get into the door. There are drain holes in the bottom of the door to allow this water to drain towards the outside of the car. If these holes get plugged up with dirt/leaves, the door itself will fill up with water and leak into the inside of the vehicle. Check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it rains, some of the water running down the window glass will get into the door. There are drain holes in the bottom of the door to allow this water to drain towards the outside of the car. If these holes get plugged up with dirt/leaves, the door itself will fill up with water and leak into the inside of the vehicle. Check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.
thanx dude will take a look

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also found this in an old thread here if anybody else is having same problem looks like I got to take the door apart

Mtech
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
The VW Passat door has a inner panel stamped in galvanized steel, this is bolted around the perimeter with 10-12 - 10mm head bolts. This galv inner panel has a gasket material around the perimeter, the join of the inner panel to the door itself makes a theoretical tight (water) and noise (rattle) proof seal to the actual door frame metal. All the window lift mechanism and door release mechanics are attached to this large galvanized metal stamping ~ incidentally made typically by Brose.

Contrast this with the typical north american car, that has a plastic membrane to prevent rain water from saturating the inside of the door upholstery (the part you see and touch from the inside of the car) and a bead of non hardening sealer (freakin messy stuff) to attach the plastic membrane and keep the water out. As to effectiveness of one design over the other? 4 out of 5 dentists couldn't agree.

A car door is meant to get water drips & dust inside, but not inside the car and not to the upholstery. The challenge is how to keep the water flowing out once it gets in. If you have water in your puddle light it tells me that the seal on the galvanized panel is damaged or not tight.

The VW puddle light is part of the inner door upholstery, it is not part of the metal door ...so the water must have gotten from the normal entry points and then gotten past that gasket on the galv panel or one of the many holes (usually sealed with a tight rubber plug, or bolt installed) on same galv panel and ran down into the light.

Get a tech to remove the inner door upholstery, and inspect the seal on the galvanized panel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had the same issue with mine. Took me forever to figure out, but here's how I did it.

With the rear door open and the window up, take a tall glass of water and just pour it down the window, as if to simulate rain. If you see water leaking from the puddle light, here's what you need to do:

-Go to the hardware store and buy some water-proof sealant.
-Go to a VW dealer and purchase about 6 of these clips:3B0 868 243. You'll need them, as some will break when you pull the door panel, and you don't want to have to do it twice.
-Remove the door panel and apply the sealant generously along the bottom. You should be able to see the line where the old sealant was. Just make sure to do it when it won't rain for a few days, and follow the sealant's drying time.
-For door panel removal, here you go: http://passatb5.wikidot.com/rear-door-panel-removal

That should fix your problem. Best of luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same issue with mine. Took me forever to figure out, but here's how I did it.

With the rear door open and the window up, take a tall glass of water and just pour it down the window, as if to simulate rain. If you see water leaking from the puddle light, here's what you need to do:

-Go to the hardware store and buy some water-proof sealant.
-Go to a VW dealer and purchase about 6 of these clips:3B0 868 243. You'll need them, as some will break when you pull the door panel, and you don't want to have to do it twice.
-Remove the door panel and apply the sealant generously along the bottom. You should be able to see the line where the old sealant was. Just make sure to do it when it won't rain for a few days, and follow the sealant's drying time.
-For door panel removal, here you go: http://passatb5.wikidot.com/rear-door-panel-removal

That should fix your problem. Best of luck!
thanx dude will take a look

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I just fixed this problem on my front and rear passenger side doors after dealing it with for too long by looking for undercover parking spots on rainy days :D and I also just noticed when I washed the car on Saturday that the drivers side rear door is leaking a little bit too :/

Your gasket material is hooped on the metal regulator panel, that's why the rubber door seal has water on the inside of it because it's running out from under the metal panel and dripping down the inside of the door past the interior panel and over the gasket with nothing to stop it.

Get yourself some caulking or silicone sealant and follow http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism or the above website to remove the regulator panel and then clean and dry the area where the seal is trashed. You'll see the deteriorated part immediately as it'll be torn or disintegrated. Make sure you remove any mud, dirt, water from the area and take a rag and rub the damaged area to remove any loose bits of the old seal. Load it up with a good bead of sealant (I did an extra inch or so on both sides of the damaged part), and then make sure you smooth the top edge of the bead out a little bit and ensure that there aren't any cavities within the bead that could allow water to pool and possible cause problems in the future. Use a decent amount to ensure a good seal!

When you put it back try and keep the panel away from the door until everything is lined up and ready to be screwed in as you don't want to be moving it around and messing up the bead..

That should take care of the water ingress :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vacuumed out more than a gallon of water from the drivers rear footwell. The culprit, listed on other threads here, was the drain under the battery.

Pull the battery, then tray underneath to find some more water.

The water soaked the CCM under the drivers carpet, the melted plastic a dead giveaway to the problem. Now, the throttle body will not calibrate with vag-com. Looking for a replacement ECU.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
03 b5.5 1.8 I used to have this problem on my rear passenger side, the cabin air filter gasket was messed up and water was leaking from that under the firewall out of the vents, I got that taken care off now the other side the driver rear passenger floor gets wet. I opened it up took off carpet seat and plastic stuff poured buckets of water nothing! then a week later we get a lot of rain I check carpet its soaking wet. I lifted the door seal and I can see that its filled with water. Literally there is water inside the seal.

< not my car. if i lift the seal up there is water inside the channel. My question is has anybody ever had this problem before, How do I figure out where the water is coming from?

I cleaned all the rain drains all around the car checked and cleaned cabin air filter seal ecu box seal and I got nothing so far water isnt coming from the air vents it leaks somewhere from the door. Could my door seal be messed up? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Re-read your own old thread and check the top-ten areas on the list for possible sources of water leaks:

wet rear passenger side

Sounds like you have bad window regulator/assembly carrier seal, which is a very common problem on Passat, in your driver side rear door which causes water seeping through the door seal. Check the following threads and there are pictures showing the same issue like you:

Another look at the dreaded wet footwell.
Water...again
Water getting in rear door seal!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got to wait for the rain to clear out. Carpet doesnt get soaky wet but its wet to the touch. It only gets went when It rains hard. As soon as weather cleans up Im take the door apart and take a look at it. So many places for the car to have a leak WTF! German engineering at its worse :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, Finally weather is good got around to doing this. I took the plastic cover off disconnected all the wires. Figured out where the leak is coming from, just like you guys said ring below the inner panel I can see the leak. Now I took the bolts off the inner panel loosen it a bit but its held by two large rivets one at the top one at the bottom. How do I break them? and If I break hem will I have any trouble?

Rivets are with red water leak is shown by blue arrow

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just took off the driver side rear door from my B5, and the reason the panel won't come out is the window regulator. The window is attached to the regulator with a small clip inside the door, and you got the regulator attached to the inner steel panel, so you cannot take the panel off without removing the clip. Instructions on how to remove it can be found in the information-base. Just don't forget support your window properly after you detach the regulator, as it won't hold up by itself.

The rivets hold the window regulators top and low-end rolls in place, nothing to do with the panel otherwise.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
That writeup is for the front doors. The rears are slightly different. Look for a writeup explaining the rear doors, particularly how the glass is connected to the regulator.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
DON'T TOUCH THOSE RIVETS!!

To remove the window from the clip that secures it to the regulator simply lower the window until the white clip is visible through the access hole (remove the circular black plastic cover in the lower central part of the silver panel). You'll see the squarish regulator clip and two circles in the middle.

Look with a flashlight and you'll see that it's a circle within a circle. There are two plastic cylinders, the smaller one is a spring pin that holds it in place. What you need to do is push the smaller pin out of the larger pin. Find a screw driver with a blunt end (Roberston works well for us in Canada [best screw head in the world, but I digress :D ]) A long allen key works as well.

Basically all you need to do it lightly tap it with a hammer until it falls out the other side. You don't need to worry about losing it as you'll be removing the entire panel and it will be easily retrievable later.

DO NOT take too big of a whack at it is if it comes out easily your allen key or whatever you use may continue on through and put a nice little dent in the exterior panel, and then you'll be kicking yourself for not heeding my warning :)

Once the spring pin is out, try and put a little mark on the larger plastic cylinder as you'll need to line it up approximately when you insert the window again when you put it all back together. Use a permanent marker or something and don't worry about getting a little on the glass as no one will ever see it. It's just for your reference.

Once it's marked, proceed to push it out as well using something like a 3/8" extension or something. Again, just push it to the back and let it fall.

The window can now be raised out of the door and put somewhere safe. It will take a little bit of angling at the top to remove it, but it will come completely out. :thumbup:

Now when it comes time to put it back together, place the large cylinder through the hole in the bottom of the window up to the mark you made, and insert the smaller spring pin, this will lock it in place. Then you simply put the window back in and let it slide down until you can see it resting on the regulator clip. Now all you have to do is push down until you hear it click (it'll take a little force to git er done) and it will snap back into the hole it came out of.

Congrats, now put the cover back on and you're done.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
this is more complicated than I thought....
I used the silicon to seal the window regulator/assembly carrier after I took the outer door panel off and pull the metal window regulator/assembly carrier up a little with a gap on the lower side to apply the silicon into the gap. It did stop the leak. Don't mess with it of trying to take the whole window regulator/assembly carrier panel off. Just use some cheap plastic trim removal tools available from Harbor Freight Tools to pry the metal panel up to get some gap after all screws were removed.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I had water in exactly the same spot as the OP. Used a tube of Permatex RTV Clear Silicone on my drivers rear door. Try to give the silicone at least 12 hrs cure time before it sees moisture.

I guess VW designed the window regulator panel seal as single use...meaning if anything happens to the door or window regulator (regulator clip replacement), you're replacing the gray urethane (1980's speaker cone surround) material with something else.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had water in exactly the same spot as the OP. Used a tube of Permatex RTV Clear Silicone on my drivers rear door. Try to give the silicone at least 12 hrs cure time before it sees moisture.

I guess VW designed the window regulator panel seal as single use...meaning if anything happens to the door or window regulator (regulator clip replacement), you're replacing the gray urethane (1980's speaker cone surround) material with something else.
No for some reason they use this cheap foam shitty seal that over time or if its constantly in contact with water it will wear away. Same seal was broken on my cabin air filter and I was getting a leak from there. Same material is used all around the inner panel

I used the silicon to seal the window regulator/assembly carrier after I took the outer door panel off and pull the metal window regulator/assembly carrier up a little with a gap on the lower side to apply the silicon into the gap. It did stop the leak. Don't mess with it of trying to take the whole window regulator/assembly carrier panel off. Just use some cheap plastic trim removal tools available from Harbor Freight Tools to pry the metal panel up to get some gap after all screws were removed.
I was thinking the same but the problem is you can pull the panel off nicely on the top and sides but at the bottom its very tight and If I try that and silicone doesnt go all the way through I got to do the whole thing all over.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im having the same problem with my passenger side behind the driver seat. I put my hose on shower setting to simulate rain and sure enough the gasket is leaking and water is pouring onto the floor and not out the drain holes. Is it possible to just seal up without having to take the inner door panel off shown here http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310280 because that does not look like an easy job. Or will it work if i just snake from the bottom up the drain holes and then re seal with new silicone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts