Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Beavis said:
It's supposed to rain all week. Is leaving the bra on my car a bad idea?
I 2nd that! I would just remove it. You know I bought a bra last year and haven't used it but for only 2 months. I hate it and don't even know why I bought it. They are just too much too take care of, because as soon as it gets wet under there and you don't remove it it will start to discolor your paint.

Wood

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time we had a lot of rain I took it off. Bam! a stone chip. Then it cleared up and my front end got covered with bugs. I'm religious about hand washing the car almost weekl (weather permitting). Do you think leaving the bra on will really discolor the paint?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
yes. most likely it will plus there's the chance that a line will be visible from grit that accumulates at the lip of the bra, though you may not have that problem since you wash weekly.

But yeah over time the paint will fade from sun and such and what's under the bra won't

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so not meaning to labor the point, but what good is this thing if you can't leave it on if it's going to rain? I do concede your point about grit getting under the edges.. that might be a problem. Why should it being wet make a difference? It's not like I'm planning to leave it on all summer without removing it. It will come off with every wash.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drive 115+ mile per day on exressways. Tiny stones kicked up by vehicles in front of me (or spewed out by dump trucks, etc) hit the front of my car at 70 MPH, leaving chips in the paint. Then there are those nasty bugs that love to chase headlights. The bra is to protect the front end of the car. It seems unreasonable to have to remove it every time it gets wet. If it rains on Monday that means I have to go all week without it (it can only be put on when the car is perfectly clean). Removal and washing every week is my plan, as is occasionally going "braless".

·
Registered
325 Posts
3M is supposed to have a clear bra that looks seamless with the paint. Its been mentioned before on these forums. I have to look around for the link to it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
clear bras rock! i don't know why everyone doesn't have one...

i had one on my 1997 red dodge stratus for 100K miles, no yellow no chips no nuthing but sweet curves. hood rusted (from the inside) so they gave me a new one (sweet!!!) and i had another clear bra installed (about $100US), 25K more miles and no chips no nuthing but more sweet curves.

also have one on the passat (got it at the same time as the window tint, $140US i think), no problems but the curves aren't quite as sweet as on the stratus, IMHO.

a.s.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I considered the clear bra option, but it seems like it would be hard to do yourself and a little pricey... they do seem nice though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had one on my '85 Scirocco and it held up well. I'd take it off occassionally to wash the car or after a heavy rain to let it dry out. I did hear that leaving it on would cause a fogging effect through the clearcoat of the car, but that was back in the 80's. Maybe painting of cars has gotten better :???: .

However I did notice that at times, depending on the time of year here in NY, I would have to wash the front of the car harder because when dirt and debris accumulated, it would "cake" on.

If I can find one for the :b5: I'd look into getting one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No need for a bra. It's like going to a party with a mask: everybody's gonna notice you, but nobody's really going to see you! And how much for a paint job only for the front bumper?!?! Probably just as much as a bra. Look into it. My opinion anyways... :wink: Let us know what you decide to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts