Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after a couple of years of oogling the Euro Westfalia Trailer hitch I finally got it and have it installed.

First of all I'd like to thank my fellow Club B5 member and my new buddy Geri in Austria who actually got me the hitch and did all of the leg work. Also thanks to Super Moderator pass-variant who inspired me to take the plunge!

I have covered the wiring here:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208467

Pass-variant's photo's:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125634&highlight=westfalia

For those that are interested, this hitch is only available in Europe and dealers and install info can be found here:
http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/auswahl.htm

The hitch cost me 222 euros and shipping was....too much :cry: . It weighs 52 pounds and even though I had it shipped though a courier that our office has an account with, it was still alot of money but I don't regret it. This hitch is truly an amazing piece of engineered metal. The install took about 2 hours.

Waiting in Austria for a new home....

Packed up and ready to go....(thanks Geri!)

6 Bolts for the 4-Motion....torqued to 30Nm (~262 in/lbs.)

Anchor plates for bolts 5 and 6....

The goose neck hitch.....

Bumper removal started....(moderately documented in the Bentley Manual)

Bumper cover removed....

Bumper off with side marker light wiring disconnected....

Bumper removal from inside trunk. Note the black cover that peels off the hole for bolts 5 and 6 on the 4-Motion. This is where the anchor plates were used on the underside above the mufflers. No removal of muffler or heat guards were required as indicated, as a maybe, in the installation instructions.

Bumper out!

The Westfalia fits like a glove!

Sticker:

Foam piece (as required in Westfalia install instructions) available from my local Canadian dealer for $22:

Foam installed with a bit of extra hockey tape....

Bumper cover re-installed. View from underside....totally hidden! No cutting of any plastic on the bumper was required.

Hitch installed....

Final pic.....

Now it's time to go trailer shopping....:whistle:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Looks kinda like a really crooked... microphone.

Nicely done, what's the tow capaticity?

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
I suggest you put a condom on that thing before it gets into trouble.:lol:

Nice work. Will it fit on a W8 variant?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Dave,

so you finally got your hitch under your car, very good job!

The Westfalia seems to fit very good, for me also first time to see the install. And it looks easy to do. Hopefully you can manage the wiring also, we have different plugs for trailer outlet. Now you can tow a tank, but beware of your clutch ;-)

and yes, this hitch will fit to a W8 also cause the bodywork is the same. To be sure put off your rear bumper and compare with Daves pics. But like Dave told, shipping is cause of this heavy monster very expensive. Maybe someone is able to find a dealer who would like to import it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chrisyoon said:
Nicely done, what's the tow capaticity?
Towing capacity = 2220kg or 4850 pounds

Tom Parish said:
Nice work. Will it fit on a W8 variant?
Yup...same model is for the W8.

5150 Pa55at said:
What do you plan on towing?
Starting new house construction in a few months so you name it and I'll probably tow it....from tile to hardwood to furniture....then if I can convince the wife to let me get an ATV I'd be really happy ;)

Tree said:
Nice work. :thumbup:
Thank you sir!

silberwagen said:
Maybe Richie at AutoBarn ???:whistle::whistle::whistle:
No dealer would import it for me including a Westfalia dealer here in Ontario. PG Performance (in B.C.) would do it but like Geri said because of the weight the shipping is very high. The price PG gave me a year or so ago was over $800 CDN. This unit I have installed here, all in with shipping, was under $600 CDN. Thats about ~$500USD. Pass-variant got lucky and had 'glockfan' a US soldier in Germany ship it for $20 with the USPS. I had to use TNT Express international courier service. Good thing though is that their price included all duties, taxes and hidden fees!

Geri said:
Hopefully you can manage the wiring also
Geri, see thread here:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208467
It wasn't hard after I learn the German shortforms. I summarized them on the wiring PDF I created.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
Glad you finally got what you wanted and sorry I couldn't be any more helpful earlier.

Watch those kneecaps/shins when walking behind the car :lol:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mycarsavw said:
Glad you finally got what you wanted and sorry I couldn't be any more helpful earlier.

Watch those kneecaps/shins when walking behind the car :lol:
Thanks....no problem...your PM did help. If I keep the hitch removed I am hoping my knee caps will be fine but I am sure I'll do it at least once ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, Excellent write-up, I have the same job to do on a 2002 Estate. On mine (UK spec) the black plastic floor over the spare wheel is full width and fits under the rear side trim on each side. Can I ask if yours is the same and were you able to remove the floor by flexing it.
Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bob G said:
Hi, Excellent write-up, I have the same job to do on a 2002 Estate. On mine (UK spec) the black plastic floor over the spare wheel is full width and fits under the rear side trim on each side. Can I ask if yours is the same and were you able to remove the floor by flexing it.
Thanks in advance
Bob
You won't have to flex the plastic floor at all. There are 6 oval rubber caps (3 each side) that pop into the plastic floor. They are about 3 inches in from the outermost edge of the trunk. The rear most two on each side are where you will find the 4 bolts that hold the impact bar to the car.
I was truly put off by the hitches available here state side for the FWD cars, and wasn't willing to pay more for shipping than I would for the hitch to get it from overseas. So, I built my own. Using the technical drawings from the Bosal unit, and measurements taken from the car I crafted my own. I used 3/16 wall tube steel to build the main structure (2"x3" box tubing for the parts that go into the bumper mount pockets, 2.5"x2.5" box tubing for the cross bar, and 2.5"x.25" plate steel for the reciever drop.) I used a 1.25" reciever as well. All in all it is pretty much a class 5 hitch frame with a class 2 reciever on it. As soon as I can get the pictures off of my phone I will post what the thing looks like. The only visible part of the hitch is the reciever tube. It's not quite as cool as the removeable swan hitches, but it will suffice. I figure I have about $100.00 in materials, and about 3 hours of labor involved with building it. Way better than the $400 or so I was finding for one from England.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, thanks for reply. The reason for my question is that I have bought an "add-on" wiring loom for the trailer socket. This is fitted with plastic connectors to just click into each rear light assembly so I have to get from one side of the car to the other, under the floor. I thought that the made up loom would save me time on wiring but according to the instructions supplied I need to remove all the trim from the rear door backwards on one side, in order to remove the floor panel. Just trying to save unnecessary work. Yes, I have the cutouts that you mention for the impact bar bolts.
I can understand US/Can owners not wanting to import towbars at the sort of prices mentioned, in the UK we have plenty of choice (for once!)
Regards Bob

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ssmalsjr said:
... So, I built my own. Using the technical drawings from the Bosal unit, and measurements taken from the car I crafted my own...... I figure I have about $100.00 in materials, and about 3 hours of labor involved with building it....
Sounds great if you have the equipment and skill to do it. Would love to see the photo's of how it turned out....

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for update & new pic's....

Here's the chain bracket I had made up:

Painted and installed with some minor bumper cutting (still completely hidden!):

New custom utility trailer (www.miskatrailers.com) with 3500lb axle....:thumbup: :

More pic's later when I get the floor stained, tie-downs installed, and get it loaded with firewood and lumber!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts