Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 GLS 1.8T 5 speed with 92K miles on it, and was thinking maybe I should look at new cars.
I have $35K to spend and…

Acura TSX Good, Not as good as I expected.
Acura TL Great, but not as comfortable as I expected.
BMW 325 Better driver than the TL. About the same level of comfort.
Mazda 6 Good
Mazda 3 Great. Better than Focus. Still a bit noisy. Pricy.
Lexus ES 330. Good. Very comfortable. Camry with leather.
Lexus IS 300. Liked this the best of all. Near perfect engine/trans/running gear combination. Felt young again.Tight cabin.
Infiniti G35. Most comfortable and best handling of the group. I couldn't seem to master the engine/trans (auto) combination. Always seemed to be downshifting to keep engine at ~4000 RPM or so.
Volvo S40 T5 Wow, good dynamics, a little less space in the rear seat than the A4 with larger trunk? but very nice car. (If they add 4wd this will give the A4 a serious run for the money)
Audi A6 2.7T (used with 21K) Nice car, fast but just to big and just could not get comfortable in the cabin.
I liked the driving dynamics of the G35 the best, Bmw 3 Series next and then the IS300 but the cabins are so small. A4 and S40 tied after this and then my B5 (with Bilsteins and H&R OE Sports and SRS rear bar), then the TL, and down the line
Best machine is Audi A4 1.8T
Best car is Passat GLX (V6 or 1.8T).(read value)
Best car for money is Passat 1.8T GLX. Then Accord 4, followed by Camry XLE 4.

Bottom line, I could have bought any one of these. I left driving my 99 and will continue to do so. I have not found a compelling replacement yet (although the A4 was tempting and if it had 2” more rear leg room I would have bought it.)

I am going to sink a few K into her over the next year to keep everything tight and wait for the new Passat and see if Volvo comes out with a S40-R

Still in love with my B5

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scotty_passat said:
a dealer in Natick had a 2004 S60-R with 4k miles for $35K..with upgraded leather and other goodies! :bow:
or a S60-T5 with upsolute chip :)
I ruled out the S60 because the T5 was sloppy on the road and the R was 40+ large in the showroom. I did do my a"djust front seat for driving and sit in rear seat" and oddly the S60 had almost no more knee room than the A4, :???: Go figure

·
Registered
2 Posts
You must consider the Saab 9-3 ARC or Aero

Saabs new 9-3 has great room and is very comparable to the BMW. I think it is a great car.

If you need more room, try the 9-5. Both cars are under 35K depending on the configuration. Both cars has over 200hp, 200 torque and get over 30mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts