Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Well, I wasn't expecting this.....

Tags
expecting
2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AndreasPassat 
#1 ·
This is nuts. This was on my B8.5 A4 2.0T

Was tracking down a cyl 4 misfire and checked the plugs. Pulled all the plugs so I could compare to #4. All but one had a loose center insulator! They slid down to the tip and when jiggled upright, the ceramic slid back down. These are OEM NGK 06H905601A in the OEM packaging. less than 20k old at this point. Guess she's off the road until the new ones come in.

Symptoms: barely touching the accelerator pedal caused a jerky misfire feeling, but no flashing CEL. Light to Mid throttle felt good but over that and it struggled to accelerate with jerky misfires felt. All told, no codes, no set CEL or flashing CEL. Up to temp and cold start no difference.

I only found it because I checked the misfire counter and it showed #4.
Coil spring Screw Auto part Spark plug Automotive engine part
Auto part Spark plug
Spark plug Automotive ignition part Auto part Automotive engine part

See less See more
#2 ·
That is strange, I have not seen that before. Pull the ground electrode off and check to see if the ceramic cracked or just the mount allowed them to drop. It's either a design or manufacturing defect and I would complain to NGK.

Reactions: Urlik
#4 ·
That is some kind of crazy.
All but one were bad? I'd try to investigate that straight up with NGK. Design flaw? Manufacturing issue? All to coincidental.

#5 ·
Update. I found out where I purchased them. They may be NOS or counterfeit but if the latter, it is a good copy. I got them on Ebay for $15. Hard to pass up and worth a try after I verified markings to the best of my ability. New ones seem to be doing well and it was also the perfect opportunity to switch to red top coils if for nothing other than aesthetics.

#6 ·
That is a screaming deal, seeing as a single plug is $14.
I'm looking at that VW on the insulator. That's not the Genuine VW insignia.
This is what I would expect to see.
But I'm no expert by any means.

#7 ·
#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.