Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the car was making a weird tcking noise from under the hood while it was idling. It hasn't been driven in about a week, and since it was used to being driven about 40 miles a day, and now its down to about 3, it was driven pretty hard today. Any idea what the noise is? Thanks.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
jp110099 said:
I'm at 76000 miles, and the timing belt was done at 65k. And I've never heard the ticking before, r u sure its normal operation? Thanks.
if it's from the evap valve, then yes, it is. try to figure out where it's coming from. you can replace it, but it's most likely gonna keep ticking anyway.

it could also be the cam chain tensioner failing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for your help so far, but I have one more question lol, What is the cam chain tensioner, and can I look with the hood open to see if its failing, and is it covered under warranty? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have had a ticking since I bought my passat with 40k on it, now at 92k its still the same. I use mobil 1 0w40, it seems like it likes to do it when I get off of an expressway and come to a stop, or if was started up the car not long after it was driven. It seems like it does not do it as much after an oil change either. Anyways, I changed it recently and am running auto rx right now, I;ll see what hapens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.