Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and only found thread about the light not turning on and the bulb being dead. For some reason when i open my sunvisor to reveal the mirror the light will not go on. Now if i leave the visor open for a bit the light will go on..usually after 30 seconds and stay on fine. I dont really use the mirror ever but its kind of annoying when i do. Im assuming its a bad fuse but have no clue what fuse would need to be replaced. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I would look at the switch in the visor. If memory serves it's towards the base of the hinge on the mirror cover. I bet that's sticking.

If a fuse was popped it wouldn't light at all.

There's also a connector that plugs in under the cover where the visor mounts to the car, that could be faulty.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea where i should start to look first..i dont think switch in the visor because once the light does turn on after leaving it open if i close it again and re-open it a few seconds later it will turn off and on again instantly..its almost like the bulbs has to warm up or some crap :/

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Well, if there was some gunk on the switch you could be breaking loose and it stays unstuck for a while. The re-sticks once it sits a while.

I think the visor and mirror light are one of those nice old gizmos of switch and light, nothing fancy there. Only two wires (non-Homelink) going into it, I can't imagine there's much else going on.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I may be revising my earlier opinion... looking at it last night it looks like the mirror flap pushes the switch down... if it was gunked up I don't think it would behave like that. I have an old visor off of the car, I'll look at that.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im thinking it might be a bulb issue..i sat there trying to pry the clear cover the reveal the bulb but could get it off. How the hell do you get to the bulb near the visor. It looks like it moves left or right and should pop off but i cant figure it out and i dont wanna break it :/

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I think the whole unit comes out like the puddle lights do. Try prying from the right.

I'm revising my revision and going back to my original thoughts. The switch is held down by the mirror flap when it's closed, when you lift the flap the switch is released. I could definitely see some gunk messing that up. I can post a pic if you want.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes can you please post a pic of where the gunk might be so i can take a look..im unsure where to begin.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts

The little white piece is the plunger for the switch. With the flap down, it's held in. When you lift the flap it gets released. Should make a nice 'snick' sound when open and closed.

However, getting the flap off without snapping the two mounting tabs might be tough.

Just a theory, could be wrong, but it sounds like a sticky switch to me.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Thinking about this some more...

To test this you could pull the visor.

Flip the cover and undo that screw, whole visor pops right off. Disconnect that plug.

To test the car-side, short across the car-side plug with a paperclip or piece of wire. Lamp should light.

To test the visor-side, put a multimeter across the leads of the black plug above. Check for the response. If it's delayed like you said above, it's the visor.

I was going to try this myself on the visor but I can't find both my leads.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright forget me ever trying to fix anything myself. I tried prying the plastic clear cover off to gain access to the bulb and instead of popping off it just decided to snap. Nice. So i just glued it back on for now. Cant even tell it snapped. Anything have an extra clear plastic piece that goes over the visor light to send to me please? Forget the light i dont even care about it anymore :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts