Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen the other night. I was engine braking downhill in first gear and the car popped out of gear. After that, my shifter and gear selections felt REALLY weird, weirder than usual. I've been driving with a messed up gear selector, but nothing strange like this has ever happened. My shifter seems pretty screwed up now.

I've been noticing for the past couple days that I occasionally feel a strange absence of torque for a fraction of a second. Not like an engine stutter/misfire, but just a momentary disconnect. I haven't noticed any rev changes when this happens, but it is very unnerving. Do any of you have an idea of what might be happening? It seems like its likely there's something tranny related going on.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
mghunt said:
I had a strange thing happen the other night. I was engine braking downhill in first gear and the car popped out of gear. After that, my shifter and gear selections felt REALLY weird, weirder than usual. I've been driving with a messed up gear selector, but nothing strange like this has ever happened. My shifter seems pretty screwed up now.

I've been noticing for the past couple days that I occasionally feel a strange absence of torque for a fraction of a second. Not like an engine stutter/misfire, but just a momentary disconnect. I haven't noticed any rev changes when this happens, but it is very unnerving. Do any of you have an idea of what might be happening? It seems like its likely there's something tranny related going on.

-Mark
Clutch maybe?

My friends 01 Wolfsburg Jetta used to pop out of 5th gear, turned out to be a burnt clutch.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual. 117k miles.

I've thought about the clutch as well. But would a bad clutch cause the car to intermittantly lose torque? I've noticed this phenomenon during decelerations toward stop lights and once today while accelerating. Also, I've noticed for the past week or so that it feels a little strange on the freeway, now that you mention it. It feels like REALLY small torque fluctuations while cruising...Almost like fluctuating between dry and wet pavement. If I nail the throttle, I can still hold about 14-16psi in 5th gear, however there is a lot of surging. Could clutch slippage be causing the load/boost issues? I did recently re-chip my car. Maybe my worn clutch is just having issues dealing with it. I've been noticing a smell for the past couple weeks as well. I thought it was potentially a plastic bag that I ran over on the freeway, but could it be tranny/clutch smells?

For some background info....I munched my tranny during a bad shift a few years ago. Since then, I've had an issue with rotational play in the gear selector rod on the back of the tranny. The only issues that I had were increased side to side motion at the stick and now my 3rd gear is now slightly to the left of center. I checked the linkages and determined that the play is in the rod on the back of the tranny.

-Mark

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
(Answering your PM, too) - I think it is very reasonable to suspect clutch slippage, especially with 117K on the car. It would cause all the symptoms you listed, including boost fluctuation.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for helping. Could a failing clutch cause the tranny to pop out of gear when engine braking? As far as the shifter feeling different now...I'm thinking its possible that when the tranny popped out of gear it may have loosened the linkage connection. I'll have to get under the car and check that out.

BTW, what does burning clutch smell like? I've been smelling something much like burning plastic/brakes when I shut the car off. The first time I smelled it was after about 40 minutes of stop and go. I had accidentally run over a plastic bag on the freeway and thought it had gotten caught up in my exhaust or something. Could it be my clutch I'm smelling?

-Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts