Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical buzz and clunk like noise at start up and 5 climatronic codes

Not sure if this is normal or not, but regardless if it is a cold start or it's already warmed up it makes an electrical buzz. But the clunk from the front. Some guy that heard it randomly said it may be a pulley. Should that have been replaced when my timing belt was replaced?

· I Know Stuff
10,652 Posts
I was not able to discern anything from the video.
It is very unlikely that so many servo motors would become faulty at the same time; check the Climatronic 5 volt power supply and ground connections.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not able to discern anything from the video.
It is very unlikely that so many servo motors would become faulty at the same time; check the Climatronic 5 volt power supply and ground connections.
So it sounds okay then? Good I guess haha :)

Where is that located? I heard weird noises when my vents switch like mini clicks and clunks like something isn't lining up or moving correctly. Is there a fuse that could be bad? I did see one fuse that looked a little iffy. I don't remember what it was for but it was a 15 amp wider one. Also many many many clicks and ticks and such coming from inside the cabin. I'll record them tomorrow. It sounds like they are coming from my vents. It's really strange.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the controls seem to be working though which is confusing. The only thing that doesn't work is the best but that's because the Heater core is clogged. If I keep the temp set to "HI" and the fan speed on 2-3 it works okay heat wise. The AC was never an issue except when I needed to charge it when I first got the car. It works fine now though.

· I Know Stuff
10,652 Posts
The 5V power supply is part of the Climatronic Control Module, 5V Plus T16b/8, 5V ground T12/9. and connects to the flap position sensors.
Another possible cause of this noise is something restricting the movement of the flaps, such as foam seals etc breaking up.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 5V power supply is part of the Climatronic Control Module, 5V Plus T16b/8, 5V ground T12/9. and connects to the flap position sensors.
Another possible cause of this noise is something restricting the movement of the flaps, such as foam seals etc breaking up.
ao the module could be bad or it could be bad at the connectors? I'm going with the module if anything because all of the controls work perfectly fine. I'll check what codes it throws at me today and see if anything changes.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,197 Posts
Some guy that heard it randomly said it may be a pulley. Should that have been replaced when my timing belt was replaced?
Mikey, what exactly was replaced when you did the timing belt? At very least, the idler roller and tensioner should have been replaced, either of which could easily be described as a pulley. If the old "pulley" fails, you'd be in as much trouble as the timing belt itself failing.

Probably not related to your noise, though.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,197 Posts
Unless I'm more delusional than usual, I don't see a "timing belt service" there. I see a battery and alternator. Up front, I see a water pump, cooling fan clutch (with suspiciously expensive pulley) a water pump, and a serpentine belt. I don't see that they replaced the timing belt pulley or tensioner - or even the timing belt itself. The last item on the list is likely just r/r the belt to get to the other items.

I'd be on the phone asking for some clarification - stat. If it's as it appears, the shop wasted a huge amount of your money.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless I'm more delusional than usual, I don't see a "timing belt service" there. I see a battery and alternator. Up front, I see a water pump, cooling fan clutch (with suspiciously expensive pulley) a water pump, and a serpentine belt. I don't see that they replaced the timing belt pulley or tensioner - or even the timing belt itself. The last item on the list is likely just r/r the belt to get to the other items.

I'd be on the phone asking for some clarification - stat. If it's as it appears, the shop wasted a huge amount of your money.
yhen they probably didn't replace anything. They told me they did do the timing belt. I think the water pump kit includes the new belt.

· I Know Stuff
10,652 Posts
A) Timing Belt
B) TB Tensioner Damper
C) TB Tensioner Roller
D) TB Idler Roller
E) Water Pump & Gasket
F) Thermostat & "O" Ring & maybe the Housing

Above is what I consider a minimum parts list for a TB job. The only one of these parts that I see in your paper work is the water pump.
A charge of $689.99 for a fan clutch and pulley seems un-realistic.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What should I do about this? It's still under "warranty" and we had an issue with the alternator and serpentine belt. Can I fight them saying I was overcharged and want my money back and then take it to Volkswagen and have them do it?

· Registered
878 Posts
I would first ask what they did and what was replaced and go from there. I also looked up what was labeled on your bill as DAYCO water pump kit. The kit appears to have the timing belt, rollers and tensioner, and water pump. I would call or go to the shop that did the work to make sure they still replaced the rollers and tensioner.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,197 Posts
(Chuckles) Gee, I looked up the other part numbers, but not the DAYCO kit - since it was so clearly marked "water pump." Other sources do indeed call it a timing belt kit, which includes the necessary TB parts. While you're calling to make sure, as smac4th suggested... ask what was up with the cost of the fan clutch.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are pictures of all the front of the engine parts. This is the best I could do picture wise for tonight, but I hope it helps. And here is a link to the exact kit that was used supposedly.
Dayco (WP297K1A) Engine Timing Belt Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TCMWCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_I1q3wbZRSBSDX
tomorrow I'll take a video and shine a flashlight on everything to see how it's all running. I have a feeling I k Le which one is bad but not 100%

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am so asking why I was charged 400 dollars for a 200 dollar timing belt kit, 450 dollars for a 250 dollar fan clutch pulley, and 240 dollars for an 80-100 dollar fan clutch. I'm NOT happy. It's all under the year warranty so if I wanted I think I could have it all returned and done at Volkswagen. I'm not happy at all. Not only did they keep my car for like 10 days and not offer a loaner car service, but they messed up many times and ninjas to keep my car there longer.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,197 Posts
Warranty ≠ return privilege, nor does the price of parts in a shop equal what you could buy them for mail-order. At this point, you might get them to make a small price adjustment, but more likely you'll be laughed at. They'll laugh themselves to death if you ask them to take the parts out and refund you.

Just remember the experience next time you need work done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.