Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so everytime I unpark, then I hold the brake.
I unbrake and hear a deep hmm which I assume is the brakes, but it seems normal, happpens agter all brakes.

As I hit the gas a little here is the part that troubles me.
It makes a weird deep noise Creek, and I can feel it in the gas pedel.
I didnt take much notice before as it only happens out of the b5 being parked.
My friend was with me and he was standing outside and observed that the sound seems to come from the back wheels (assumption).
He said the rotors and possibly the axle might be bad.
Can he be right? Any hints?
Thanks

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
It is normal for the rear brakes to creak when the parking brake is released.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds to me like your parking brake is releasing slowly (like it's gunked up). You may want to spray the mechanisms with a liberal amount of cleaner and then re apply a lubricant that won't gum up or hold a lot of dirt (I can't think of the name of it right now but my mechanic uses it and it's red in color).

Also your hand brake cable has rubber boots that over time can rip allowing water to enter between the outer jacket and the metal cable. Sometimes this causes rust which will cause binding. The boots are easily visible if you look underneath where they meet with the parking brake mechanism. You'd be able to tell if they are no longer keeping water out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
I don't get exactly what you are saying, but if the parking brake is released and it creaks when you start moving, you might have a stuck rear caliper or something stuck in the parking brake cable system.

The rears will creak a little with parking brake ON, particularly if you have your foot on the brake, are on an incline, set the parking brake, and then release the brake pedal. I assume this is the car moving slightly because of gravity and the fact that the rears with the parking brake on don't bite as much as all 4 from the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think its the rotor or the brakes, only happens right after a park, never at a full stop.Ill check the roter this weekend though.

RachaPassat's idea maybe it. It happens right after I take it out of Park (Automatic)
and then move out. It may be slow, after a foot or two its ok. Hm Im gonna have to go under this weekend. Any pics to know what Im looking for? :p
but I dont use the hand brake, I have an auto (sorry didnt mention that).
So I dont think its the water filling up.

NYC4ever, its anytime the car moves out, not at an incline, so its not gravity, but slight gas power that moves it. But what I think you are reffering to is the first paragraph which I guess is normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2000 GLS Variant has done that from day one. I have tiptronic and use the parking brake. The brakes have been checked and rechecked. So, that is not the problem. We have had two VW dealers tell us that it was a fairly normal thing. I forget exactly what it was they said, but I think it has to do with the springs. Anyhow, 63+K and nary a problem as a result of it. It is just a bit annoying if anything.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm gonna have to change my thought on this now that you mentioned that you do not use the parking brake and most of us don't when you have an automatic (my wife being the exception).

I'll have to go with Cowgyrl on this one because if I reread it correctly, it makes this noise after the car has sat awhile. Basically when the car is in a resting position for more than a minute...right?

My car does this from the front driver's wheel. I can bounce the car and it won't make a noise. I wait for a minute or two and rock the car and it makes this groan noise. I was able to tell it was in the suspension.

Am I getting warmer??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
" it makes this noise after the car has sat awhile. Basically when the car is in a resting position for more than a minute...right?

Yes thats right. I have almost the exact same car as cowgyrl except the variant. 2000 GLS. So what you guys are saying is that its the suspension, and really not a big deal.

Im going to go try the bouce thing tonight and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The "creek" with the reaction in the pedal - I feel that too on my 2004. I think people say it is some abs self test possibly?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ABS self test?
Hmmm that would also make sense as well. I didnt get a chane to look at it this morning.
Had to go out and woke up really late :roll:
Im letting the thing cool down and then I want to do that push test. Maybe drove to a park and look under it, but its really crowded out right now. :sad:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm.... I dont think there is anything wring under there.
I tried the push on the springs bounce thing, I dont have that. :???:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to chime in here too. I have been having the same thing happen to my car. It is the front pass. side. It would happen about 3-4 feet after i release the brake when i put it into Drive. I have noticed that it only makes this noise when everything is cold in the morning. It does not happen when I go into my local Quickie-mart for 30 min. or so, only when everything has a good amount of time to settle.
I will throw a couple of other possibilities i have been thing about
1. could it be the CV joint

the reason I was thinking of this is because i just rebooted my pass. side CV boot and was wondering if the noise is the warning that the CV is about to start clicking around turns.

2. could it be transmission relatied.

Just wondering

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
triptronic
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing