Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just dropped $130 on a monster home theater surge power isolator and cable noise flattener (or whateva you call it) as well as supa-shielded coax cables thinking that it would solve my picture problems....

I'll admit that 7 thru 80 now look exceptionally crisp and clean (ok thats nice) but the reason I did all this was to try to get 2-6 to clear up... They are a tad bit better but the difference between 2-6 and 7 is :crazy: ...

Thoughts?? If its da cable co. I'm probably S.O.L. (as if they care...)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
From all of my years of dealing with Cable Co's, Cable sucks in my opinion.

It all comes down to how good your local company is, and how good the cabling was run when a home is built. In my home, when it was built 4 short years ago, I could never get a good picture. Cable company came out and of course blamed the builder for a crappy run of cabling. In the end I switched to DirecTV and have never looked back - the same cabling the builder put in is working just fine with the satellite.

I couldn't go back to cable for my TV needs. Spoiled with High Def over DirecTV now.

I still use the Cable Co. for my interenet needs and they great with that.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you mean the dish-tv? Those guys are calling me and leaving messages every other day (it seems). I'm just not sure I want to make the jump until there is more programing and the prices on flat screens come down (when a 30" widescreen lcd at 1280x748 hits 1G then I'll jump)... :weirdo: Some day :weirdo: ...

Guess more sheilded cable is in order... :wink:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The cable co can put an 'amp' where it enters the house. That may clean up the signal by strengthening it... thus harder to interfere with. Comcast started doing that when they started the combo TV/cable/digital phone combo here.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Definitely sounds like a cabling issue. Though when I've had signal issues (usually just on certain channels, like 7 and 70-74 or so), they've come out and replaced the cables without any trouble. And the PO looked like they did lots of interior cabling themselves. :crazy:

On the subject of switching from cable, I've had no problems with Time Warner, and I get nice HD programming for free. No extra programming package, no $700 equipment to buy. :D Would be nice if the SD programming was as high-quality, but we live with it. Maybe when satellite prices come down to earth we'll consider trying it. ;)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm fudged... It's definately the cable co....

I connected one of my new fancy double shielded cables directly into the lead out of the box and into an old tv (pre s-video box). Same thing... 2-6 messed up and 7 on up look great...

o well.. looks like I'm going to be spending a eon on hold...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I had a similar problem. The cable co came out and checked the connection on the pole - viola. There were some loose connections. After tightening channels 2 through 5 were as good as the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
rtenke
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing