Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Passat 4cyl turbo w/ Tip @80K and I've got a really, really bad problem w/ the accelleration. If I hit the gas I have to hit it slowly for if I do it too fast it sputters. It's reaaaaly touchy. It mostly does it when it's under load and I try to accellerate.

I'm between jobs and I can't afford to take it into the shop right now. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this? I'm thinking it could be the timing belt? To my knowledge I don't think they replaced it at my 60K tune-up.

Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
have you taken a look at your throttle body? I cleaned mine out last year because of a bouncing idle and a few stalls at startup. Once I cleaned it, all normal again. You can pick up some 3M throttle plate cleaner for under 5 bucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds about right

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've experienced some of the same things w/ the startup and stalling as well.

I really have the same question when it comes to the procedure to do this. Does the product you mention explain this at all? Or can I get a Chilton (or equivalent) to explain the process?

Thanks again.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The Bentley manual does not provide a method for cleaning the throttle body. I read in another thread that carb. cleaner is what to use.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also check your spark plugs. I had this same problem resolved about a month ago. The dealer actually gave me that advice and it worked. Who would have thought? Good Luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again, thanks for the help, folks.

I'm a little vague on the procedure for cleaning the throttle body, but wish me luck.

Hey, do any of you know about how to replace the bulb in the thermostat control? I can't figure out how to get the trim plate off. :mad: ...and, I don't want to break it, like I did on an old car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
coil pack.

could be a misfire instead of throttle body.

...especially if your car feels like you're accelerating on a cobblestone road when you hit the gas.

-Harry :beer:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
FWIW, I have gotten misfires due to throttle body malfunction. :)

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
jackman_fam said:
Hey, do any of you know about how to replace the bulb in the thermostat control? I can't figure out how to get the trim plate off. :mad: ...
jackman, is it a rotary dial climate control or the digital Climatronic?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the same problem too! I replaced the Sparkies and I was running smooth again. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Dannyv
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing