Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting really bored with the current layour of my site www.photonick.net ..its all done with ms frontpage. the idea was to just have a few photos up there, but making and managing galleries with frontpage is a pain. so, here i am now looking for ideas for layouts, software etc.

i don't really want forums, well maybe just one for people to leave messages about pictures and whatnot. i also looked at
http://gallery.menalto.com and i think that is exactly what i want... a combo of that and phpbb. for a noob like me (no php experience at all), is this something in my league? anyone used menalto?

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I recommend you do go with GALLERY. Just FYI, the site you linked is a mirror of the official Gallery homepage (which I linked to).

It uses PHP, but does not require any knowledge for the user. It is very easy to use, and is very comprehensive

For an example, I use it on my site:
My Passat (In Gallery)

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
DUDE! That's cool! The B24 shot over the M2 is great. Is this your actual profession?

FrontPage also has a guest book which is pretty easy to add.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I just installed it on my site. Got lots of learning to do though. I wish it wasn't so complicated to go back and change options (first change file permissions, then run the setup again bla bla).

I'm going to try to transfer all my images to this gallery and clean up the site. Im likin it so far though.

Thanks Postman. Aerial photos are more of an incidental hobby really. Hell, I'm up there, might as well make use of it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
good links. i need to start using something like that for my fraternity's webpage. Everyone bitches about me not putting up pictures cause I do it the old fashion way of cropping, resizing, and coding them in there by HTML. These programs will come in extra handy, been looking for something like this for a while as well.

Website is good for what you have. If all you want to do is get your photography out there, your website gets it done. If you want it to look flashy and sharp, I might be able to donate some graphics for you to use on your site. I do a boatload of web and graphic design, I'd be more than willing to help a fellow B5'er out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nu Mu: The install for gallery is super easy. if you know how to use FTP, you can do it. i have never done anything with php before, and i got it to work within an hour.

Ill take you up on the graphics offer. I think all I need at this point is one or 2 banners for the site, like a header type thing. the new site is www.nikoz.net any ideas?

thanks again
nick

·
Registered
709 Posts
well, I'm back home right now, so I don't have my graphic tools. I get back to college where it's all at this weekend.

I don't have many ideas right now. The only one I got is I could take a bunch of your pictures and turn them into smaller polaroid looking photos and have them look like they're stacked on top of each other in the top left corner of the webpage so it covers the top corner, and then have like a header bar extending outward from it and putting the name of your site on it, and then maybe right below the name of your site have the menu for your website. It could be an image map or something.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow... I've made progress these last 3 days. Got hosting for my new site, installed Gallery, installed php nuke... i only need a theme now.

www.nikoz.net/gallery is the site. feel free to upload photos into the guest galley.

look at www.bassroom.com ...think you could make a banner like he has that spans across the top? let me look for some pics and ill get them to ya.

Thanks again

Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts