Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a web site (portion of) for my daughter's school. It's all volunteer work. The wifey says I get "credit" for the hours I work (parents are supposed to volunteer a certain amount of hours every school year).

However she wants to know how much $$$ (not time) I'm "donating" to the school by doing this. Mostly for her knowledge and in case anyone at the school asks "How much did we save by your husband doing this for us?".

It's PHP / MySql. Don't have a total # of hours yet as I'm still working on it. But I'm guessing it will total 40 hours. @ $50/hr, I'm telling her $2000. Question is, is $50/hr. too high, too low, just right? Being that I'm not a web developer / contractor I'm not sure what the going rate is now a days.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
50 bones sounds right. Depends on the area of course, that has a lot to do with it. But here in SoCal that'd be in the ball park. I don't do PHP but I assume it's about the same or close to teh same bill rate as ColdFusion

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
invariant said:
A few years back, the company I worked for charged $1500/day for web designers. How times have changed...
Exactly why I had to ask to make sure I wasn't way off the mark. The wifey thought $50/hr sounded low and I said "The economy isn't what it used to be".

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
invariant said:
A few years back, the company I worked for charged $1500/day for web designers. How times have changed...
How nutty that is depends on what exactly they were doing, but anyways there's a big difference between the rates for an independant consultant and the rates for a consulting firm. $50 would still be low for a firm but for an indy, it's about right.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Macabre's back!!!

Or maybe you've been posting and it's me who's been gone :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts