Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/24/us.cuba.baseball.money.reut/index.html

Cuba finished second in the 16-nation competition, and the runner-up was entitled to 7 percent of the tournament's profits. But under the 1962 U.S. trade embargo, Havana had to forfeit its cut to get U.S. approval to play.

Cuba would like its share of the prize money to be donated to the victims of Hurricane Katrina but the Bush administration and MLB say "No."

Why can't they just say, "Yes." The money stays here and goes to a good cause. But, no, our government has to be an asshole and stick to its principals, even when we are wrong.

This is stupid.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
A Major League Baseball official said the deal that allowed Cuba to play in the tournament, which was reached in February with the U.S. State Department and agreed to by Cuba, made it "crystal clear" that Havana would not receive any share of the profits, even for charity.

"Cuba doesn't have a cut of the proceeds of the tournament, and there is nothing for Cuba to donate," MLB spokesman Patrick Courtney said by telephone from New York.
1. Cuba knew that they wouldn't get any money beforehand.
2. It is not the U.S. governments money to "donate" but MLB's. It may still be donated, just not at the direction of the U.S. or Cuban government.
3. Read the last paragraph of the article that states there may not even being any proceeds to donate.
4. Screw Castro.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the whole article. I understand the legal aspect. It does NOT make us right. By saying, "No," we look like dicks to the whole world. And what harm would have come from saying, "Yes," ESPECIALLY if there is NO MONEY?

Saying, "Yes," wouldn't hurt anybody and would make us look good. Castro already looks good just by making the offer. To deny him only makes us look bad. Why not do it?

This does not screw Castro, it screws Americans.

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Go to Miami and talk to the 62 boat lift folks and you won't call that bullshit.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Urlik said:
Go to Miami and talk to the 62 boat lift folks and you won't call that bullshit.
Any Cuban-Americans here to speak for this?

I wanna know how offended Cuban-Americans would be by Americans donating money to American victims of Katrina on behalf of Cuban baseball players and Cuba.

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
poohbear said:
Any Cuban-Americans here to speak for this?

I wanna know how offended Cuban-Americans would be by Americans donating money to American victims of Katrina on behalf of Cuban baseball players and Cuba.
There are some amazing belief differences from the different mass groups that came across the straights. The 62's are the most anti-castro and have been very succesful in Miami, then again they are older. I haven't spent any time there in abotu a decade so I don't know how the 84 Cubans are fairing but I imagine they are growing in stature. It's really a very interesting dynamic between the different mass immigration groups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts