Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Water leaking onto front passenger side floor

Yesterday i discovered that some water somehow got onto the floor of the front passenger side of my B5.5 2003 Passat. Not I've heard this mentionned before by somebody and that it was some kinda leak. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your moonroof drain is probably clogged. I don't have a moonroof, but I'm sure someone else can provide more specifics about the locations.

Patrick.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Could be a bad seal on the pollen filter, clogged drains under the battery, clogged sunroof drain lines, or weatherstripping on the doors that isn't sealing correctly...... Did I miss anything? Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Ben

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Search and you'll find many have experienced this. Could be plugged a/c drain, cowl drains, sunroof drains or leak through pollen filter housing. If you have tiptronic, your TCM is under the passenger side carpet. Not good to have water on wiring harness, connections and TCM. Pull carpet up and throughly dry out and clean drains and / or repair pollen filter gasket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does this kind of problem only happen when cars are left outside and not protected by a roof/garage? Or maybe in areas where cars are subjected to much rain? Why or how do these so-called drains (an oxymoron???) get clogged?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Does this kind of problem only happen when cars are left outside and not protected by a roof/garage? Or maybe in areas where cars are subjected to much rain? Why or how do these so-called drains (an oxymoron???) get clogged?
My car has been garaged in the evenings and night since new (2000) 113k miles. My drains have never been clogged. Occasionally, I have some leaves and other small debris in the cowl area that I remove. I suspect that parking under / near trees especially in the fall when trees loose needles and leaves hastens the clogging process.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ken....thanks for the reply. I am garaged too and I will now be cautious where I park (not under falling leaves, etc.) . I love:heart: my Passat. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My drains got clogged once (sunroof, drivers side front).
I lived in Florida, and parked under a tree - with my sunroof cracked to keep it cool inside during work. I had legal tint all the way 'round, rear sunshade up, and a windshield sunshade too.
Don't have the sun heat problem here in Minnesota, but I will the W8 before summer.
Oddly, tint in FL ran less than 150.00 - MN quotes are 225.00+???
Pull the cowl every other month, and clean the crap out. I change my cabin filter every 4 to 6 months, and do it then.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUESTION FOR YA'LL

Is this something that would be covered under warranty? My warranty does not expire until 2008 and looking at other threads its seems like this is a well know issue. Should i expect the dealer to repair this free of charge?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had this happen last week. Unfortunatly, it coincided with my vents pouring steam (great kettle impression!!)

End result: Split heater matrix:(

Car's still at the dealer being put back together after a matrix replacement. Looking at about a £700 bill :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
QUESTION FOR YA'LL

Is this something that would be covered under warranty? My warranty does not expire until 2008 and looking at other threads its seems like this is a well know issue. Should i expect the dealer to repair this free of charge?
Depends on the dealer and which warranty. A good dealer would do it under warranty. And if it is under the first 12 months/12K miles, it definitely should be under warranty.

When I said I had a leak, the dealer said it was most likely sunroof drains and they would charge to clean them out. Turned out that the sunroon drain hose was disconnected inside the A-pillar, which I put back to together. At the time I was under the 48 month/50K mile warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this happen last week. Unfortunatly, it coincided with my vents pouring steam (great kettle impression!!)

End result: Split heater matrix:(

Car's still at the dealer being put back together after a matrix replacement. Looking at about a £700 bill :cry::cry::cry:
Where is the heater matrix located on these? My old 306 was a 'dash out' job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the leaves clog the cowl drain before. (Last car) keep the leaves out and don't dump a bucket of water over the top of the car when you are washinig it.
:banghead:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
This exact thing happens to me every time I park on in my drive way (45% angle) with the nose pointed downward. No idea why, but looks like it comes in from the cabin filter area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You said:
When I said I had a leak, the dealer said it was most likely sunroof drains and they would charge to clean them out. Turned out that the sunroon drain hose was disconnected inside the A-pillar, which I put back to together. At the time I was under the 48 month/50K mile warranty.

My question:
How did you remove and repair the A-pillar sunroof drain hose? I have the
same problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts