Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone would have a suggestion what could cause this:

Few months ago i bought VW Passat B5 2005 with 135.000 km on it. After a month from purchase i went away for three weeks and when i came back i found oil and water leak under my car. I took it to mechanic and i have been told a gaskets, water pump and timing belt need to be replace even if timing belt was replace 3.5 years ago and had only 40.000 km on it.
I got everything fix.

When i picked up the car, the water temperature has been down almost all the time and when it moved it went straight to 90 degrees and then it dropped down. From time to time i have seen a white smoke but everyone told me it could be from burning the previous oil or a glue if he has been using it there. I took it back to the mechanic and been told the sensors need to be replace. So i got that done. Unfortunately that didn't fixed the problem. Also as i have been checking it more frequently i still seen that white smoke coming from back of the engine from time to time (left and right back corner). I think it is the coolant. But i am not 100% sure. The water temperature is going up and down more frequently now.

The mechanic send me to the electrician.... i got that check and they said all wiring is all good.

Before i got gaskets, water pump and timing belt replaced i didn't have a problem with a water temperature dropping and neither white smoke.

The mechanic is telling me he doesn't know what to do and how to fix it as he can't see any problem. He already charged me more than $2300 and now telling me he has nothing to do with this problem .... :mad::banghead:

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,619 Posts
If the temp gauge is fluctuating it could be a faulty thermostat that needs to be replaced. If as you describe a white smoke coming from the back of the engine (and not the exhaust) then it could very well be the the coolant flange or the heater hose have cracked and coolant is leaking on hot engine parts and burns. Whether the mechanic has not installed the water pump and that is also leaking I cannot tell but it needs to be inspected.

The Aussie laws may be different so may have a hard time to hold the mechanic accountable for his possible lousy job but if it were me I would not easily accept what he says or denies.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Repair shops have a lot of support from Alldata and Mitchell. They basically show you how to do a job, and if you can read, follow the steps, have the tools and have some basic mechanic ability, you can get the job done 100%.
Unfortunately for OPs case, they don't teach you how to interpret symptoms and how to troubleshoot.

·
2,619 Posts
water temp sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS), pretty obvious they couldn't be anything but the same.
OK thus from now on we won't say Coolant Flush we say Water Flush, we won't say Coolant Flange we say Water Flange, etc. We just replace coolant with water. It wasn't Obvious! but now it is.

·
2,619 Posts
Only if from now on we replace the coolant pump and not the water pump ;)

Some catalogs call that sensor water temperature sensor, that's why I used the confusing terminology...
LoL!!! :lol: Yeah it's ironic why it's called WP. But I'm for the swap. We swap coolant with water and vice versa where ever applicable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
both sensors should be replaced for genuine sensors ....

i will put an update tomorrow after he will check it and test it again ....

he thinks there could be some electrical issue between sensor and dashboard ....

otherwise he has no idea what could cause the smoke and temperature drop

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
You should take it to someone who knows how to diagnose and repair a VW.

The CTS or its wiring is faulty. (There are 2 sensors in the only CTS, it is one part)
The fault causing the gauge problem could be in the wiring between the CTS and the dash.
The smoke/steam could be from a leaking coolant flange/CTS.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
How well is the engine running? The CTS can't measure air temp, so pockets of air can be causing the swings in temp as well.

Look at the top of the tranny for dried coolant. Should be a pinkish crust if G12 was used.

What gasket(s) were part of the original repair?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- the smoke is actually apparently from oil. Somewhere there are three bolts and around two of them is little leek what is dropping directly to exhaust and that is what is causing smoke. I have been told parts would cost no more than $10 but work what would be involve would be around 4-6 hours ($360-$560)

- the gaskets been changed not even a month ago for original ones

- he also been checking the sensors. All the temperatures are correct when is running. There is no any leak. He fixed it ... but it was only working for the rest of the day and it didnt move since ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.