Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my timing belt water pump etc. Got the kit in the mail has a small broken tab on the water pump side.
Question is would you install it or return and get a new one?

Automotive design Automotive tire Carbon Rim Composite material

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,000 Posts
Definitely return and get a new one. The size of that opening in the casting was designed for a reason and as a result, you may see undesirable operation from the pump with that opening now larger. Even if it didn't make a difference, I would still get a replacement.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Definitely return and get a new one. The size of that opening in the casting was designed for a reason and as a result, you may see undesirable operation from the pump with that opening now larger. Even if it didn't make a difference, I would still get a replacement.
2nd that!
Spend a weekend or whatever to tear everything apart and reassemble only to find out it didn't work, screw that.
For me personally, solely based on the sheer amount of labor required to change out the water the pump I wouldn't even consider taking the risk.

I can surely vouch for my statement above.
Not with the water pump but with cam seals. When I rebuilt my wife's 2003 GLX V6 engine I used PTFE cam seals. Within minutes of getting the whole car buttoned back up, I had an oil leak from one of the cam seals. I installed one of seals in the wrong location. (yes PTFE seals have a specific location requirement)
Seeing as the water pump is behind the timing belt, it's basically the same amount of labor, and believe me, that's a crap ton of labor just to dive back in and redo what you just got done doing.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
In reference to my last post (post#3)
This was after I had the car completely reassembled and went for a short test drive.
It still stings when I look at this picture.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Damn, it just warms my heart looking at the super clean engine. And I thought that I was the only one who would sit on a garage floor, with toothbrush and rags going after every speck.
We've had discussion about this before. Kinda like the progressive commercial, don't become your parents.
Don't become obsessed with what you can't normally see on your Passat.

I'm obsessing over getting all new window regulators (instead of just the cable / track system) on my DD because the old ones have some corrosion on them.
But that's a whole 'nother story.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
We've had discussion about this before. Kinda like the progressive commercial, don't become your parents.
Don't become obsessed with what you can't normally see on your Passat.

I'm obsessing over getting all new window regulators (instead of just the cable / track system) on my DD because the old ones have some corrosion on them.
But that's a whole 'nother story.
I think it’s an affliction with Passat toiling toolers… I saw rusty rotors…yeah but Jeeze look at that caliper… oh well the brake line extension is shot.. hmm those bushings don’t look good… hu, wow the hub suck and probably will overturn the lug nuts soon… damn those control arms are gonna snap… ooo look! There’s a crack in the well liner… oh that shock is a bit old… is that a cap! Couldn’t even recognize that! New hardware… yeah… I’ve ordered the entire suspension setup for all 4 wheels and am seriously thinking of sourcing a new subframe for all the rust on it … I think it’s a sickness lol

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
I was lucky, my parents didn't raise me that way. I like things done right and am particular about how I go about things, but I don't need everything perfect on a car. I don't mind dirt, but I do like to have most things work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts