Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I haven't been on here for a while butI've been quite busy recently. anyway, the prob is with my bros B5, its a 2000 1.9TDi PD 115bhp sport variant. (currently on 130,000 miles) The car keep losing water, for no apparent reason. Its just had a full timing belt change including water pump and we have done an oil change and checked the oil for signs of water but found nothing. The engine does not overheat as the temp guage stays at a steady 90deg. For some reason a build up of pressure is causing the water to be forced out from the outlet built in the cap of the water reservoir. having taken the car to many different mechanics who have not been able to solve the problem, I now turn to my fellow B5 brothers and sisters to try and shed some light on the issue.

The only explanation I have recieved so far is that the head gasket needs replacing, but I dont think there is a problem with the head gasket.
Any feedback is appreciated, We are really stuck so ideas please....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it has been changed, I swapped it with the one from my B5, but the problem still remains, I think the actual problem is the build up pressure within the system causing the water to be forced out.

Good thinking though Ram, keep the ideas coming :thumbup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you have white smoke coming out on a dry day (at idle or cruising), then it is definitely the Head Gasket.

It could also be the oil cooler. Have you replace the Oil cooler gasket?
Since you mentioned you did the timing belt and water pump recently, I think you should check and see if there are water leaking out from the pump.

·
Registered
179 Posts
With the engine hot and running listen to and observe the water reservoir. If you detect exhaust gas escaping there, it is coming from a leaking head gasket. This excess pressure builds up faster than it can be released and may dammage the rad. There may be a dark deposit form in a ring on the reservoir. Keep us informed and good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Or if the water pump flow rate is normal... Biggy, I remember something like this happening to my JPS BMW (when I lived in Oxford actually), and the engine was certianly not overheating but definitely losing water via the outlet, it was found to be the water pump actaully had damaged vanes and was actually backing the flow. Suffice to say old chap that it completely eliminated the problem when we changed the water pump. It may be as simple as that my friend....

Cheers
Ram

PS. United fan? :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Thermostat valve has also been changed as part of the elimination problem, however the problem still remains. The car is currently losing 1.5litres of cololant every 500 miles. Could someone please explain where i would find the oil cooler and how to check if the gasket needs replacing!! Thanks a lot guys!

On a lower note, I've noticed the same thing has started to happen on my B5 :???:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, im notmuch of a football fan but I live less than 1 km away from Old Trafford.

Anyway back to the B5, on inspecting the coolant reservoir this afternoon, the red coolant is turning a dirty colour. There is no water leaking from the water pump, there is no evidence of any gasses escaping and neither is there any white smoke. This prob is slightly baffling, the other thing is my bro is a taxi driver and his B5 is his means of earning his living, so he is quite anxious to get this problem sorted.
Thanks for all the input so far guys!!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Long time ago I had a 78' rabbit diesel that used to love to blow head gaskets. Symptoms you describe could be head gasket failure.

Check if there is exhaust in the cooling system. Use an exhaust gas analyzer to sniff the expansion tank for CO. CO in the tank says big problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree with iconnx- If this started happening AFTER your timing belt change, then the NEW water pump you installed is probably bad. The plastic vane mechanism can break or start spinning on the water pump shaft and cause all kind of wierdness to happen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem fixed!!!

The head had cracked meaning a full replacement was necessary. Total cost came to £600

Stoooopid mechanic refilled the car with antifreeze though instead of the red coolant, dumb foolio, we had to flush the whole system and then refill with the proper coolant!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, course we did, wouldn't be right otherwise! :thumbup:

The coolant mix is 50/50 with water which Vw says should be suitable for our climate here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Biggy
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing