Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Passat and water has been leaking inside, mainly on the floor of the passenger side, but also on the drivers side. I am pretty sure it is happening with the AC. It has been really hunid here and the AC has been blowing out fog when its turned on cold. It seems to leak while the AC is on and then when I turn it off is when a larger pool of water forms. I read that some drain holes could be clogged or drain hoses cracked, etc. Is there anywhere that I can look to find out where the location of these drain holes, hoses, etc. are that I need to check? Thanks!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Run a search on this topic. You will find that it is not an uncommon occurence and that the solution often invovles the cabin filter fitment or clogged drain holes around the battery and firewall areas.

·
Registered
821 Posts
check the wire that is used to open your hood, it has a hole to the firewall right next to the ECU, looking towards your engine it is to your upper right, that has a rubber piece around it to prevent water to come inside the car, mine was very worn out so I filled with silicone, check that, that will let a large amount of water to come inside the car. I really dont know about the passenger side but I will like to know exactly where are those drain hole located to be able to check them.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There's a drain under the battery. It's pretty much impossible to clean without taking the battery out, or if you have a lift you can attack it from underneath the car. Leaves love to collect in there.

The most likely culprit, however, is water sneaking in past the cabin filter over on the passenger side of the car next to the battery. You'll need to re-seat the cabin filter or install a fresh cabin filter properly. This is a 2 minute job and there's some instructions buried in the owner's manual, so don't let some dealer con you out of $200 to do this.

With respect to the battery drain and the grommet where the hood release cable travels, the dealer probably doesn't even know those are a problem, so in any case you're probably better off grappling with this yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am going to try to do what I can tonight. I stopped at Home Depot today and bought an air compressor, I have been wanting a reason to buy one anyway. So hopefully I will be able to find something.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It's not so much an AC filter as its a filter for any fresh air that is being sent into the cabin (hence usually called 'cabin' or 'pollen' filter). It sits over the green circled area (the filter is out in the photo). When you replace, just make sure it's seated well and the cover is back on right, otherwise rainwater flowing down the windshield can go right in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got down in the floor of the passenger side to see where the water was coming from. On the passenger side, behind the heat vent is a red plastic thing with a hole facing down. Water is dripping out of there at about a drop every 5-10 seconds. Anyone know what this red thing is and why water would be coming out of there or where it leads to?

Under the hood there was one drop of water hanging off the AC Plumbing (red circle above) but that was it, everything else was dry. But I had just gotten home with the AC running for about 20 minutes. I looked at the air filter and while it needs replacing very badly it was completely dry all around there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's got the be the AC. Because for the second time after running the AC for about 45 minutes and then turning it off, about a minute later water is pouring out, pretty much soaked my foot on the drivers side.

Anyone know what this red thing is behind the heater vent?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well all the drains are clear, at least all the ones I know of. Water does leak out under the car with the AC on so I know its got to be at least somewhat clear. However the water is still coming out. It is leaking from that red thing behind the heater vent and then running down into the foot well of the passender side. I figured out that the red plastic thing has to do with the temperature setting, it moves when you switch from hot to cold. Funny thing was water came out faster when you set it to hot, compared to cold. I also checked under the carpet on the passenger side, what I believe is the drain for the AC out of the car, it was completely dry. The water coming out is very warm for some reason. But I would guess it has to be something else with the AC that is leaking and not just a blocked drain?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.