Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any problems with water leaking into the passenger side during car washes? When I took my car (99 Variant) through the wash, water will stream through the A pillar, down through the dash vent, and on to the floor. I looked on the outside and cannot see and area where the seal is bard. Any thoughts on where to look?

Also, today it is raining here. Took the car out to get some lunch. When I returned, noticed that there was some water on the passenger floor mat (I was alone). Looked closer, and noticed that there was water coming in at the bottom of the door where it meets the body. It was really strange to see it there. Any thoughts also?

Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
hewro, i am assuming you have a sunroof.....

your problem could be your sunroof drain hose has either popped off,
or has clogged.

the drain hose Does run inside the a-pillar, and down to a little flapper valve between the top and bottom hinge on the door.

the first thing you should do is check to see if any water got under the
carpet. remove the trim along the door to pull up the carpet to check.
the reason why, there is a 500 dollar transmission control module under there if its an automatic.

i dont remember the exact method to cleaning the drain hose if thats the
case, but someone else will chime in. Robert... :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
yeah, the dutch boy couldn't stop my 2000 variant from leaking. you need to seriouslt clean all 4 of the drains for the sunroof. one in each corner. I finally came up with a long probe for the air gun and blastedthehell out of it, then ran a wire u through it. it came back kinda black. also make sure the fuzzy seal around the sunroof glass is clean.

Another source of water is the battery well and the foam seal beneath the cabin filter airbox. There is a large drain beneath the battery that gets clogged up. I think the trim on the 5.5's really helps keep crap from collecting under there and deflects water away fromp the airbox. Mine was actually draining through the heater vents to the rear heater vents under the front seats and soaking the carpet.

Watch out for the convenience control module under the driver's feet under the carpet. $380+ installation since they need to reset all your keys, the alarm, etc.

My carpets felt dry when I got home, but with the downpours we just had about an hour ago, i expect them to be soaked in the morning.

My '71 beetle still floats, why can't my 2000 passat take a litttle shower? :???:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing