Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Back on topic.
Items on order:
1) Window regulator panels (both back doors)
2) Plastic pins that secure the window to the regulator
3) Trunk seal

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Curious why you are replacing the entire reg panel. Have you tried to seal the entire bottom along with ~3" up the sides with one continuous bead of caulk? That should stop the water ingress through the door.

So long as the drains on the bottom of the doors are open and there isn't a bunch of crud inside the door. You mentioned the rubber seals against the glass are in poor shape. This will allow a lot of debris to get inside the doors.

As far as a speaker gasket. If water is getting that high in the door then the drains are for sure clogged.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Curious why you are replacing the entire reg panel. Have you tried to seal the entire bottom along with ~3" up the sides with one continuous bead of caulk? That should stop the water ingress through the door.

So long as the drains on the bottom of the doors are open and there isn't a bunch of crud inside the door. You mentioned the rubber seals against the glass are in poor shape. This will allow a lot of debris to get inside the doors.

As far as a speaker gasket. If water is getting that high in the door then the drains are for sure clogged.
Reason for replacing the panel is the mechanism that makes the window go up and down is broken. That and I found a screaming deal on both rear panels. Usually the panels go for around $200 and more for Genuine Audi/VW stuff. The aftermarket isn't much cheaper. And the cheap aftermarket stuff is just plain garbage. I picked up the panels for $84 each. Genuine brand new in box.
I look at this way, spending $200 on a window panel seems kind of expensive, but in the whole scheme of things take that $200 and spread it out over a few years time, it comes to a minute sum of money. I've gone on lengthy rant's (well documented here on PW) on how I justify spending money on a 20+ year old car. Fact is, it's the way I am. Other people don't have to agree with me, but I know some people do.

The other part of the problem is the rubber trim piece on the outside door ledge where window goes into the door, that rubber trim piece is pulled away from the window allow excess amounts of water into the door cavity. So much so that it's to much for the little door drains to handle. I know for certain the doors drains are free and clear of debris.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The other part of the problem is the rubber trim piece on the outside door ledge where window goes into the door, that rubber trim piece is pulled away from the window allow excess amounts of water into the door cavity. So much so that it's to much for the little door drains to handle. I know for certain the doors drains are free and clear of debris.
Make larger holes! ;)

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Drivers rear door window regulator showed up at my work yesterday. Waiting for passengers side regulator.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Drivers rear door window regulator showed up at my work yesterday. Waiting for passengers side regulator.
Guess what? Looks like we are in the same "boat". We had a bunch of rain over the weekend, and yesterday I saw that telltale condensation on the inside of my rear driver's window. No flood (thank god), but the rear carpet was damp. So, need to add diagnosis to my endless list. Top down, starting with sunroof drains, considering the tree near it dropped half it's leaves on my car. But, it's probably a small gap in what I thought was a ridiculously well sealed door panel (sealed this summer when doing that speaker work).

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That blows.
I've got a conundrum now too. All of these parts that I have been buying here and there, I don't know where I put some of them. :confused: I'm looking for some hardware that I purchased, and those little plastic dowel pins to hold the rear door windows into the regulator mechanism. Who the hell knows where I went that stuff. It clearly shows on one of my invoices from ECS I bought 6 of them earlier this year. ??? Looks like I'll have to get some more from ECS Tuning for $2 each and spend $15 in shipping charges. Maybe I'll but another case of oil filters so it doesn't sting so bad.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That blows.
I've got a conundrum now too. All of these parts that I have been buying here and there, I don't know where I put some of them. :confused: I'm looking for some hardware that I purchased, and those little plastic dowel pins to hold the rear door windows into the regulator mechanism. Who the hell knows where I went that stuff. Looks like I'll have to get some more from ECS Tuning for $2 each and spend $15 in shipping charges. Maybe I'll but another case of oil filters so it doesn't sting so bad.
I'd go to the dealer before paying shipping on ECS, for that small part. They can also probably be bought for a few bucks on ebay and amazon (aftermarkets). Search for PW threads that have purchased aftermarkets for decent quality links.

I can't remember where I put anything. I spend half my time searching for stuff "I just had".

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
I have the same issue finding things in my garage. I've got boxes all over.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just FYI: You can move a window like that using the keyboard, so that you might be able to access the part/button you need. Hold down the Alt key, press Spacebar,then you can release both those keys and Press the 'M' key, then use the arrow keys to move the window. When you get it moved to where you want, press the Enter key. Can be a nice trick to save your bacon, or recover window size settings.

Here was what the VCDS looked like on the laptop.
As you can see there's not much I can do with that.

View attachment 97815

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Reason for replacing the panel is the mechanism that makes the window go up and down is broken. That and I found a screaming deal on both rear panels. Usually the panels go for around $200 and more for Genuine Audi/VW stuff. The aftermarket isn't much cheaper. And the cheap aftermarket stuff is just plain garbage. I picked up the panels for $84 each. Genuine brand new in box.
I look at this way, spending $200 on a window panel seems kind of expensive, but in the whole scheme of things take that $200 and spread it out over a few years time, it comes to a minute sum of money. I've gone on lengthy rant's (well documented here on PW) on how I justify spending money on a 20+ year old car. Fact is, it's the way I am. Other people don't have to agree with me, but I know some people do.

I get that and it makes sense. I do the same with some parts also. Rather bite the bullet 1 time and not have to worry about doing the same work twice.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts