Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions. Hopefully the following will be of use to someone.

Clearing your drain holes

The methods of cleaning the drain holes have been discussed ad nauseam so to save space I’ll just point you in the direction of this excellent write-up;

Leaky Passat

Squeezing your sunroof drain nipples

Sunroof drains exploded

How to clear front and rear sunroof drains?

Checking your pollen filter seals

Water Leak through Pollen Filter

Other, less common sources of water ingress

Faulty door seals

Another look at the dreaded wet footwell

Cracked/rotten external antenna base.
Sedan/Saloon
~DIY Antenna base and wire replacement in less than an hour~ – Note, the “less than an hour” claim is a bold one ;)

Wagon/Estate
dropping the headliner (wagon)
Wagon trunk area

Check to see if the pipe to the rear washer is attached. There are a few reports of it coming loose and filling the CD changer/amp area with water.

I think that covers it, please feel free to point out my errors and add your own links.

Sam

Additional info added 09 April 2010

wet rear passenger side - removal of the pollen/cabin filter (inc. pictures)

Pictures mirrored here in case they go missing at a later date.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Great summary post - lots of water issues ALL over with these cars.

Did you include the one where the "cowl" at the bottom of the windshield cracks off its mounting tab and leaks straight down ON TOP of the pollen filter. You will know this is the issue if your pollen filter is getting wet on top when you have water in the vehicle.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Nope, didn't know about that one, link?

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump, any takers?

I'm still seeing new posts on the issues here.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
About what NH Junky said with the cowl breaking, i put a mini write up in the link under "checking the pollen filter thread", i put silicon sealant on the cowl so it dosent leak down onto the filter, and fixed the gasket for the filter to. You need to scroll down to see it.

Awesome compilation thread, I've been seeing alot of new thread about this problem.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, but I already have that in the first post!

Bump, more input

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump - any more for any more - still seeing the same old questions asked.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I sincerely apologize for dragging my ass on this. it's been in the Testing forum since January. It will soon go into the Info Forum - I'll leave it here for a bit for comments and Q&A.

Thank You, mycarsavw, for finally doing something about this long-standing request. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I can personally vouch for the antenna base replacement thread instructions and the ability to perform it in an hour - I did it within an hour, and it was the very first job I tackled on my Passat.

as for the rest of the links, I have went thru each and every one of them - they are all pretty darned good. great place to put these, all in one spot to cover all the bases. :thumbup:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sincerely apologize for dragging my ass on this. it's been in the Testing forum since January. It will soon go into the Info Forum - I'll leave it here for a bit for comments and Q&A.

Thank You, mycarsavw, for finally doing something about this long-standing request. :thumbup: :thumbup:
;)

I got so tired of seeing the same questions.

I'll edit as more ideas are posted.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No new ideas, still the same old questions though ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts