Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed my 98 variant was leaking cool, fresh water. Like the air conditioner was on, only I had just driven 45 miles w/out air conditioning. I popped the hood and tried to locate the source. The water was coming from the coolant hoses running through the firewall from the engine compartment. I thought this quite odd untill I saw the three inch puddle of water at the base of the battery. It had rained hard two days before, it took another tow days for the water to fully drain. The water just drains in off the front window to this area. I'm thinking I dont want salty water just settin' there in battery bay once winter rolls around, soooooo.. Who cna tell me where to look for a plugged drain hole in the battery bay. I'd rather not start removintg the battery etc. if I dont have to. I assume those crafty germans over-engineered something other than an incomplete seal in the firewall to drain this area.

Oh yeah, no water made it's way inside yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are 2 drains; 1 under battery tray & 1 behind brake vaccuum booster. You have to remove the battery to get at the one behind vaccuum booster. Where in Milwaukee do you live? I live on the west side.

Tom

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on the east side, a haven for B5's. Where do you do service. I trust most of my work to Concours Motors Inc. as I used to work there and know they aren't ever feeding me lines, they also hire very good techs. I wouldn't mind finding a good indie though. Then I can take my own parts in when I know what's worng. My current indie isn't into keeping the car as nice as I would like. They just like to keep them running with as little cash as possible. Not always a bad thing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I take my car in for warranty work or I can't do it myself, I take it to Concours. They have treated me really good! I have bought parts from Boucher, there parts guys are good! I don't know any indies. I always try to fix it myself.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.