·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in and extreme case

what is the maximum depth of water a b5 can be driven threw

i know the intake is pretty high up

but if water were to get into the foot wells doesnt that screw something up

( i dont need a lecture on driving my car into water im not planing on it i was just talking to some one about hydro lock and it got me thinking about what is the real depth a b5 could drive in )

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't drive in water that is deeper than the axles in any B5. Once you start to go much higher you risk water getting in the transmission and you must replace all of the transmission fluid ASAP (unless you are a ZF shareholder).

If your life depended on it, you could probably drive through water that was just lower than the height of the air intake. Cold water on a hot turbo housing? scary.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have a stock v6 and the intake is a little lower than the door handels

if it were life and death i supose you could probably detach the tube and raise it even higher

( you would most likely just be swept away first)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Not only that, but with water comes bouyancy. Since water can't instantaneously flow through all of the cracks and holes in the chassis/body, it will be bouyant until the level equalizes. As I understand it, it doesn't take much water flowing perpendicular to your direction of travel to knock you severely off course.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't even think of submersing the alternator. That would be bad. Can the lower belts operate under water or would they just slip? Would be messy in anyones book if you had to go that high. Intercooler would be nice and cool though.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
danteshors said:
Don't even think of submersing the alternator. That would be bad. Can the lower belts operate under water or would they just slip? Would be messy in anyones book if you had to go that high. Intercooler would be nice and cool though.
I love posts like this...they always get the fresh ideas flowing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The second water gets in your floor board you're screwed. The CCM module is under the carpet on the driver’s side. When wet it can disrupt the ignition, locks, lights, horn, etc. Now if you kept it dry it’s a different story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.