Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Water buildup in computer, fryday or good to go?

Got a 99 1.8t, engine is running a little weird and wouldn't start consistently. I saw a post about condensation and water buildup in the computer area under the driver's foot well.
:wrench:
So I pull the side molding, lift the carpet, padding is damp - not dripping but wet to the touch. Ugh!

I see some water down below the large case so I pop it open to see inside...whoa, an inch or so of water here! I pull the computer out, unplug it. It's dripping rusty water so this has been...uhmm...submerged for awhile I'm thinking.:banghead:

So I siphon out the water, pop open the computer case to see the board, looks terrible.

Is there hope? I'm amazed the thing started at all! Are these components waterproofed in some way?

Falcon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would you believe the thing started after I left the board in the house to dry out for a day or so? I'm not sure if anyone can see from the pic - the orangey parts are rust.

So I plugged it in, no sparks or sizzle, and just turned the key and voila!

Now to fix this torn CV boot and she's on the road again!

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
if i were you, i would get some QC electrical contact cleaner and a toothbrush, and have at. comes very similar to brake cleaner, aerosol and clear, but is infact different.

stuff works great for refurbishing any old electrical parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts