Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
This was big news back in 1999 (?) iirc - this was the THIRD time that a then new CLR flipped - the two previous times it was the number 4 race benz, the 2nd of those two times killed the number 4 car for good after it was repaired after the first flip. This one (in this video) was the number 5 race car - this actually happened live - I remember watching this one on Speed since so much attention had been drawn about the number 4 car flipping - amazing that neither driver was killed in any of the flips.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
without seeing it it's obviously the le mans video. i remember those live too, that was so amazing.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
This happened to Porsche too with the GT1. It was quite embarassing for both companies. The class has been suspiciously devoid of either marque since that day...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Damn, that looked like one of those super-speedboats skimming across the water then flipping into the air. How could ANYONE walk away from an accident like that?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Mullignore Porsche flipped a GT1 at Road Atlanta about 2 Years ago. I've also seen a few E46 body M3's lift on inclines very close to wrecks. Solid bottom racers need more downforce to keep them from flying off the track! It's funny that it's taken so many accidents in LeMans for engineers to figure that out..

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was at Road Atlanta when the Porsche flipped. It was the first Petit LeMans. I was watching the race in the esses section when the car went by and then we saw it flip on the mega monitor in front of us. It was on the track right behind us went it tried to take off.

We looked behind us and saw the dust. Fortunately, it landed on it's wheels and the driver was ok. Definitely a wild ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
scottvw
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing