Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
YES! , not on my Passat but on my VR6. What I did is empty a whole can of LYSOL® Disinfectant Sprays. You have to have the car running then take a piece of tape to hold the can's trigger down because it could take about 20 min for the can the get empty. Turn up the a/c on full blast. open all the doors and place the can on the vents near the wiper arms. The alcohol in the Lysol will kill the bacteria and it will go away. :puke:

:thumbup: :b5:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Its best to run the heater instead of the AC when doing this. I've seen the guys at the AC shop do it that way. They sprayed down the pollen filter outside the car then ran the rest of the can into the area where the filter sits. They had the doors closed for the first 3 minutes then opened them and ran everything at full blast till it was gone.

If needed let it sit in the sun for a little while afterwards. Take that time to detail the exterior or clean up the interior. The Lysol smell will stay for a while (if you got scented) so its best to try and get some of it out. Unless you like the hospital smell.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Re: Smell from AC ducts.

shooshman said:
Hi,

Sorry to ask basic questions.

Can you tell me where the pollen filter is on the B5 ?
Where under the hood do I find the air intake duct?

I have a can of lysol ready.

:)
Right/Passenger side firewall, right up top. If you have a newer B5.5 with the black cover, it is right under the cover, beneath the wiper arm. Pulls right out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yep, that's filter location. I'm not sure when they started with the black cover over the items along the firewall (battery, etc..). If you have one, the weather strip pulls forward along the front edge and, once off, the cover just pulls off, no other screws or other items to secure it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.