Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My warning lights are on when I turn the ignition half way: the 'Check Engine' light & the 'Battery' light. What does that mean? Within the last week I got the alternator switched out twice.. the first time they fixed it it was because there was an annoying whining noise coming from it.. the morning after they did the job, I was driving the car and in a matter of minutes the 'display panel' read 'alternator workshop'. So, I brought the car back and they fixed it again, the owner of the shop said that they're using a 'rebuilt' alternators, does that factor in at all? So after that's all said and done.. the 'check engine' and 'battery' light are still on! Please advise.. do I need to bring this to VW, get it checked out by someone else, turn off those lights with some device?

And, there's also now a whining noise coming from the 'electronic cooling fan' when the AC is on.. I don't remember if this sound was there prior to time at the shop but, I don't think I'm at a point where I can say otherwise.

Also, for the 'timing belt job' and 'rotor' and 'brake' installation.. they charged me $800 flat.. is this a reasonable price or should I start going to a different shop? :banghead:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well as far as the "Battery" light, that's the generator/alternator light BUT it is supposed to stay on when the car isn't started. ONCE you start the car it should go away. If it doesn't, then it's probably the alternator ;)

Also what year is your car? I've found that the Check Engine light is incredibly anal, could be about ANYTHING, even the smallest thing. In the past, I've disconnected both sides of the battery, left them off for about 2 minutes, then reconnected them. And then I'd turn my key all the way WITHOUT starting it, and I'd wait for about another minute. This lets the throttle body automatically realign itself as well as the computer to get reaquainted with everything electronically. Anyway, after a minute start her up! When I did this, after I started my car, the check engine light went off because it kind of resets itself.

As for a rebuilt alternator, sometimes when they rebuild them, they don't replace the wire/brushes inside that I believe work to recharge the battery. Not sure if that might have something to do with it, maybe someone else will have a little more knowledge on that aspect.

I'm not sure what that whining noise could be, maybe you need a new water/AC pump? Hopefully someone will give some insight on that issue.

And if they charged you $800 for everything you just listed then you got a very good deal lol. I've always been charged ALMOST that much just for the timing belt lol. Maybe I was just getting majorly ripped and you aren't getting AS ripped LOL. Anyway hope this helps bro :thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I know in my car (98 Passat 1.8T) my timing belt is a bitch to swap. I think like..6 hours? Could be wrong on that. Rotors and brake pads, that shouldn't be TOO bad because I've had those both done at Midas in under an hour and they charged me like $250 for it all. So I dunno bro.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm sorry.. it was.. timing belt job/rotors/brake pads for $800 labor.. I supplied all the parts.
Sounds OK, figure 2 to 3 hours for the brakes (book rate) and 5 to 6 for the TB and associated stuff - you get about 8 hours. $100/hr is about the going rate in larger markets, so not a bad deal, particularly if they did EVERYTHING (TB, water pump, thermostat, all accessory belts, tensioners, yada yada). I imagine you had close to $600 in parts, but should be good for a long time now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts