Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you don't get alot of TDIs here, but wanted to share this. Our 2000 B5 TDI started having difficulty(jerking) when you engage first gear, when in standstill position. It started last year, and was sure it was DMF starting to act up, and thought it was only a matter of time before I have to change it. Car also had some issues on idle(rough, would calm down a little when warmed up), everything was vibrating in the cabin, and if you give it a little gas, to higher rpm, it would stop. It also had trouble accelerating below 1.7k rpm (i know it has all the torque at about 2k) but it seemed like it was struggling and is going to shut down at any moment on lower rpm.

Yesterday I had a 5 hour long trip, and when I woke up this morning battery was completely dead. It was 5 years old so it wasn't a surprise. I changed it, and couldn't believe (still can't) that all the problems were gone. Car was idling like it was new, clutch was engaging great and car was flying(I mean not that fast :), but anyone who drove TDIs know how much torque they have and how it feels when you floor the gas pedal).

Anyone else experience this?

It might seem funny to some older members, but I'm new on this forum, and don't know much about cars, but couldn't believe what kind of problems can a bad battery cause.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know you don't get alot of TDIs here, but wanted to share this. Our 2000 B5 TDI started having difficulty(jerking) when you engage first gear, when in standstill position. It started last year, and was sure it was DMF starting to act up, and thought it was only a matter of time before I have to change it. Car also had some issues on idle(rough, would calm down a little when warmed up), everything was vibrating in the cabin, and if you give it a little gas, to higher rpm, it would stop. It also had trouble accelerating below 1.7k rpm (i know it has all the torque at about 2k) but it seemed like it was struggling and is going to shut down at any moment on lower rpm.

Yesterday I had a 5 hour long trip, and when I woke up this morning battery was completely dead. It was 5 years old so it wasn't a surprise. I changed it, and couldn't believe (still can't) that all the problems were gone. Car was idling like it was new, clutch was engaging great and car was flying(I mean not that fast :), but anyone who drove TDIs know how much torque they have and how it feels when you floor the gas pedal).

Anyone else experience this?

It might seem funny to some older members, but I'm new on this forum, and don't know much about cars, but couldn't believe what kind of problems can a bad battery cause.
My Passat vibrates when in 'R' and 'D' but not in 'N'. Suspect it's drive axle. But it's good to know battery is at fault in your case. Will keep that in mind.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Yes, weak/bad batteries can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues. I am guessing your poor idle and low throttle symptoms were caused by the load put on the alternator by the battery.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When the car is running it depends on the energy supplied by the alternator, the battery is used for cranking and accessories and will store energy as it is being used while running. It is great that your car is running as a champ but if you experience the same problems again, your next step will your alternator as you now know that the rough idling is energy supply related.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Glad it was only the battery. I have noticed that my Passat is very prone to electronic gremlins when the battery starts to get weak. Unlike all my other cars and trucks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for sharing your findings. I also have a 2006 Volvo XC70 and I have read that many owners have also had this sort of thing happen with them and it leading to a weak battery. Glad you fixed it.
TomK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts