Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's either Ford or Chevy... It must be diesel. I need it to pull our boat, and handle beater duties... No more than $3k, but want to stay closer to $2k or less if possible. Do you think this can be done? My guess is that it's going to be hard to find at that price. I'm in no rush though. Any suggestions on things to look out for in an older diesel pickup.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boat and trailer weigh about 2700 lbs. I pull it easily with our V6 Touareg right now. Even without the boat, I'd still want diesel. Not sure why.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
vitaminB5 said:
Even without the boat, I'd still want diesel. Not sure why.
I'm not sure why you want a diesel either.

Nearly anything will pull 2700 pounds. Any full size diesel pickup you buy in the price range you want is going to be an absolute piece of shit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It can be an absolute piece of shit... that's kind of the point I guess. Maybe I need to figure out what it is about diesel that fascinates me so much. For my needs, unleaded would suit me fine, but I can't stop looking at diesels.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
vitaminB5 said:
It can be an absolute piece of shit... that's kind of the point I guess. Maybe I need to figure out what it is about diesel that fascinates me so much. For my needs, unleaded would suit me fine, but I can't stop looking at diesels.
Diesel parts are more money also, and you will need to put money into it. The older GM diesels are notoriously bad trucks. They couldn't give them away new.

You can even get a 1990-94 base 4.3 1500 Reg cab for that amount. It will get over 20MPG, bulletproof (for a domestic truck anyway) and easily tow that much.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've just go to get past this diesel obsession and pick up a gasser. I'd love a truck with the powerstroke in it, but that's out of my price range for a truck that will just sit mostly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ford used to make normally aspirated diesel trucks, and there are the older Dodges with the Cummins I-6. They show up occasionally for reaonable prices, tho probably more than you want to pay...

Postman is right about the GM diesels - absolute crap.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
vitamin,

like others have said, if the boat is only 2700 lbs, just about anything will tow it.

Heck a 1990 dodge grand caravan with the tow package will pull 3500lbs.

i just reread your post, and i see you own an Touareg. dear me, put a hitch on it (if it dosen't have one already), and just tow the boat with that, and be done with it.

Save your $2-3k, or if its really burning a hole in your pocket, send it to me. :lol:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TAckhouse1 said:
vitamin,

i just reread your post, and i see you own an Touareg. dear me, put a hitch on it (if it dosen't have one already), and just tow the boat with that, and be done with it.

Save your $2-3k, or if its really burning a hole in your pocket, send it to
me. :lol:
If I could make a donation to the Tackhouse mod fund, I would!

The Touareg has a hitch and when it's a day at the lake with more than just me (usually the case), it pulls the boat admirably. After all, pulling the boat was one of the major reasons we bought the Touareg so we will continue to use it for that. Otherwise it's a waste.
When it is just me, I just am putting a ton of miles on the Touareg pulling the boat around North GA fishing for pleasure and tourneys, so I am thinking that in just a couple of years, those extra miles will depreciate the Touareg more than the upfront price of the beater truck. Additionally, the having a beater around for certain Home Depot tasks is also attractive as we are constantly in the midst of some remodeling project. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
b5-turbonium said:
vw caddy 1.6 diesel 4spd can be had for under a grand. Not sure how much it can pull with its 58hp but....

58HP? really? Wow... that would be damn funny. I think I'd lose the boat down the ramp! That one in the pic has clear corners too.. must be modded :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.