Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a way of showing off the results of a proper detailing, I let my car go for about six weeks during some really crappy weather. Here is the before pics.

Unfortunately, I ran out of daylight before I could get any after pics, I'll post them in the morning. Lets just say that it'll be worth the brief wait.

And now the moment you were all waiting for, the after pics: [drumroll]

8)

Yesterday I did a full polish and wax, and even these pics don't show how nicely it turned out. It was too cold and windy to stay out and mess around taking pictures (about 25F). Yesterday I used 3M Fine Cut Rubbing compound over most of the car, with 3M Medium Cut RC and 3M Swirl Mark Remover (all applied with a Porter Cable 7424 polisher) on the hood to minimize some waterspots from last summers acid rain. Then some Einszett Paint Polish over the entire car, followed with Einszett Glanz Waz and P21S carnuba on top. Props to autobahnFluids.com for hooking me up with the 1Z.

The whole thing took almost 6 hours to finish, and the entire car looks like a mirror now. As for the bird poop, it was only on there for a couple days, not the whole winter. Just look at that reflection:

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's mud, salt, bird crap, cat prints, dust, etc. Your basic East Coast winter cocktail.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
*OUCH*

And I thought the dirt on my Passat was bad.....too bad I never took a pic of it when it was at it's dirtyest......my family woulda called me weird though :lol:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Lets hope the bird poop didn't etch into the paint.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Heh. Looks like mine. Then there's the interior. Black interiors and road salt don't mix. Not to mention I currently have a gravel driveway and no yard to speak of (unless you consider clay a yard).

Ugh.

I can't wait for the asphalt plants to open so I can have a driveway. Looking forward to giving her a nice bath. :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
wow, your car still looks pretty nice even being that dirty :thumbup:

cant wait to see the detailed version :wink:

·
Registered
718 Posts
yeah, I know what you mean about the black interior. Even the monster mats I got weren't enough to contain all the salt and water. Next passat I get is going to have the gray interior.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i dont car wash my car, i do it by hand, but some times in the winter i cant take it anymore and brake the low-mid thirties to wash my car. My friend is as anal about his car as mine and one froze his hand to the metal roof rack of his Pathfinder while washing his car. He ripped skin off and it was awesome cause his hand was raw for about a week or so

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
its obvious you guys have never been in canada for winter, all our cars are more salty and dirty than that one :sad:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dirty as hell, but I love the blue rear emblem!

Oh, and I could never have let the bird crap sit there all winter, when I see some I go ape.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
mmmmmmmm...I was hoping you'd show a pic from the first hosing off.

My 1Z has held up to our MI winter excellently. I take it to the wash about once a month and the car wash guys can't get over how good it looks with just the basic hose down. After it rains, my car looks awesome. It hasn't been waxed since late September.

I think you will be extremely pleased with the 1Z over time, Jeff. It is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i know what it's like... but i don't detail, i just go to the touchless twice in a row :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
mdtoney
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing