Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
real nice blackwag! wow id love to see 11s. alls youd need is like an offset of like 50 and a tire stretched to the point where you can read the side wall from above and itll fit hhaha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mario's, BlakWag, is :thumbup: Can't believe your over your wheels!?

Here's some I posted already on the Variant thread. NOT my cars, just something to drool over!:cool:

]

Just some pics I like.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
How do you plan to fit 11's in the rear.

with the proper offset and pulled fenders. right now i'm doing 19x9.5 et43 and the wheels are slightly touching the inner fender liner. but they are basically flush. i'd be fine with 1.5" of poke ;)

here's my old gti, widest set of 17's on a stock fendered mk4, 10.5 et28

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very nice Bill! :thumbup:

Are you going to run 18x11? what size tire are you going to stretch on that badboy? 235 or 245? what size where you running on the 17x9.5?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
those are 17x9 et28 fronts on 225-45 and 17x10.5 et28 rears on 245-40s

i'm going to try 11's, but i'd like to do at least 10.5. no clue as to what tire i'm going to run. i'm pretty much waiting until i have all the parts to make the wheels, have the fenders pulled to where i want them, and then i'll decide on the tires. a lot of stretch.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Care to explain
Fancy rubber is useful for two things on show cars: looking good and protecting the wheels from road damage on the way to the show. Stretched rubber can't do the second part because it isn't even flush with the lip, much less wider than the lip.

Oh, and it increases your chances of having a blowout dramatically.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i love posts like that one.

a properly sized tire is not going to protect the lip anymore than a stretched tire if you hit something. your driving is what damages wheels, not the tire.

and please explain how it increases your chances of a blowout dramatically.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
i love posts like that one.

a properly sized tire is not going to protect the lip anymore than a stretched tire if you hit something. your driving is what damages wheels, not the tire.

and please explain how it increases your chances of a blowout dramatically.
Think about it for five seconds. If the tire is slightly wider than the rim and you curb the wheel, the tire will scrub and the rim will be fine. If the rim is sticking out past the tire, it will grind against the curb.

Stretched rubber is more likely to blow out because the air pressure is fighting the tension in the sidewall, with the sidewall trying to pull in and the air pressure forcing it to stay on the rim. That decreases the overall pressure holding the tire bead against the rim as compared to a wider tire on the same wheel at the same pressure.

Also, the outside sidewall of a stretched tire is not angled to resist the sideways force of cornering sharply, meaning that the tire bead will rock back and forth on the inside of the rim instead of staying put, which will wear out the rubber in the sidewall faster.

So yeah, if you drive the speed limit on smooth SoCal roads you'll be fine, but that's not fun. And in a lot of places, it's not even practical.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't hit curbs. I know how to drive with custom wheels.
Learn how not to drive like a chick.....
This topic has been covered over and over again in many forums.
He asked for pics of phat wheels and some stretched tires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts