Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have them painted, and want to paint them another color, how do I do this?
I was thinking paint thinner, sanding, and and more paint thinner, then painting it another color, how far off am I? :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
All you would really need to do is sand the surface of the old paint to "rough" it up a bit and clean off all of the dust (tack cloth or water and dry thouroughly). You can apply paint directly to the deglossed surface or you can prime it, then paint as usual (followed by wet sanding and clear and more wet sanding).

-Gene

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Curry .. sanding to prep the surface should be fine then a light wipe with Prepsol to get rid of any possible oil residue. Where you might run into an issue is if you have used any treatments in your engine bay .. Arnorall 303 etc it might cause fish eyes .. if you have do a really good Prepsol wipedown. The prepsol may disolve some of the paint if you applied from a rattle can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Jesstzn
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing