Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a 1.8T for commuting to work. I am new to the site and want to thank members who have already alerted me to items to look out for (coil packs, vac. hoses, fuel senders). I will buy a Tip as I have a 89 16V Mk II for weekend canyon work. Other than the styling change, are there other differences between 5's and 5.5's? Is there a particular year that should be sought or avoided?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the only diffrences are the options that are available, the styling and the mods that are available. all of the mods differ from b5 to b5.5. i am not sure, but i think there are more for the b5, but with the 1.8t there are so many mods you can choice from either b5 or b5.5, and more each day. i dont know about a specific year, but all are great cars, i would look for the one that best fits ur budget and needs as far as millage, warrenty and work needed to be done on the car.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
as far as B5's, there was a thread about what years to buy. The 2000 model is improved upon the recall from the earlier two models. Gas mileage, my '00 v6 gets 30 mpg from Baltimore to Jacksonville, NC, roughly a 400 mile drive. Since joining the club, I have become a huge fan of the 1.8T manual tranny, getting my wife a A4 1.8T. It's a manual too. Commuting is a PITA, but I prefer a stick myself. I don't feel it's worth the trouble once an automatic starts to reach its end. HTH

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. B5V6, My commute is the Central Cal Coast and while I enjoy the drive, premium unleaded is now $2.39 at the discount dealers. I'm looking for max mileage. I'd rather eat glass than take any car to a dealer, learned long ago to find a good indy shop. If anyone is aware, and willing to share, please let me know what kind of mileage I could expect with a chipped 1.8T with Tip at 75 mph or so. How many rpm are these cars turing over at that speed? Are there any 1.8's out there with the Tip that regret not having the 5 speed? Is drive by wire a better, more relaible, set up?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I love CC of Cali. Used to live in Morro Bay and Los Osos for a couple years. The price of gas is really getting up there. Just to compare to the V6, not chipped at the time, that was 30 mpg at hwy speeds of 75 average. It's chipped now, and I get better gas mileage, just haven't been to Baltimore since. They do, the v6 and 1.8t, turn a rather high rpm at these speeds. Check out a search, and you'll notice there's a B5'er changing his 5th gear. It may already be completed. DBW is a bit slower on the throttle response. If mine is DBW, than it isn't that bad of a response. My 2000 was assembled in Dec. of '99.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i also have an '00 1.8t tip, and the gas mileage is great. i could hit 35 MPG driving *very* conservatively, but normally, you'd get around 30 MPG at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If your commute is not stop-and-go traffic, I would recommend getting the 5-speed. It gets slightly better gas mileage and is a blast to drive. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts