Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 1.8T 5 manual and want to get a nice suspension to get the car to be really really stuck to the road and be more solid in turns.

I do not want a big drop, 0.75" would be good and if it goes to 1.25" i wont mind but no more

What shocks woudl you recommend with these?

Also which springs would you chose to avoid the front raked look.

i dont want to get 1BE suspension.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
best bet is h&r or eibach. those should be around 1.25"... my sofsports are about 1.5"

dont believe "advertised" drop... it always settles lower. i find my bilsteins to be too harsh for daily driving, i hear good things about koni's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
koni has a new kit with their fsd shocks and eibach springs. sounds like a very good performing combo with minimal drop. that's my suggestion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Koni Sports are nice at full soft, and the new FSD looks even better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2001 1.8T and I was also looking for new shocks/springs. I was thinking about the H&R OE Springs with Bilstein HD shocks. ecstuning sells these together for $669. It would be great if a 1.8T with this setup can post pictures and state what the actual drop is.

From their site - H&R OE Sport Springs lower your vehicle subtly giving it a slightly more aggressive stance without radically changing its appearance. Designed to enhance front-to-rear balance and street handling performance OE Sport Springs take the "wallow" out of the stock suspension yielding a more taut feel and improved ride characteristics. All this while retaining the ride comfort you're accustomed to.

I'm not looking for much of a drop, but do want a *little* stiffer/sportier ride.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I find the stock springs are stiff enough. Stiffer shocks are what reduce the "wallowing" by increasing damping, causing the car to settle faster (assuming you are on the stock shocks which cause an underdamped condition). Stiffer springs merely increase the resonant frequency.

Now, lowering the front suspension does improving handling by giving it some negative camber. Typically the way to do that is with shorter/stiffer springs in front, but I achieved it using adjustable coilovers.

If I were to do it over again, I'd try just the H&R OE Sport springs in front, stock springs in back, with Koni FSD shocks all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts