Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Spring has finally arrived, I shall once again begin using my alternative form of transportation on my commute to work. I walk or, sometimes, ride my bike. Granted, my work is only 1.5 miles from home. But, when I was in college, I had a job that was 11 miles from home and I commuted on my bicycle. With traffic, I could get there just as fast on my bike as in a car. And we had shower facilities at work so I would get ready for work AT work. In fact, until I was 23, I didn't own a car. My first was a '73 Beetle (R.I.P.). I miss my bug. :cry:

Anyway, do any of you other people on this site use a non-internal-combustion-engine form of transportation on a regular basis?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
When I worked 1/2 miles away, I always walked. I even made it home for lunch. Everyone there thoguht I was nuts - it wasn't to save the environment, it was to save the wear on my car at the time!
Now, driving 1000-1500 miles a week .... walking won't cut it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm 30 miles from the office. I would have to leave pretty early to get here and ride on some dangerous roads. When I lived 4 miles from my job I would bike.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've got a great ride to work. Bike path for 2 miles, then 1.5 miles of 30mph roads. :thumbup: Once my wife's school lets out, she'll have the car and the dog every day and I can ride in. Until then, I take the dog to the park every morning for some fetch, so I need to drive. When I lived in Boston, I was commuting 4 miles via bike from Davis Square (Somerville) to Kendall Square (Cambridge). It would take me about 17 minutes. Via car it would take 20; subway about 30. If you're in a bike friendly city, it just makes sense to bike sometimes.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'm quite close... maybe 1.5-2 miles... Most of the time I'm lazy and drive (because I have a parking pass)... In the summer I tend to bike in more than half the time. Depending on the weather.

Bottom line... I should walk/bike more... :oops:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
You can't bike in Dallas. Period. You'd be hit and killed by traffic within a week. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Wish I could, but it's 32 miles by interstate, about 45 by back roads. By the time I got home, it would be time to turn around and head back to work.

I only ride for pain....every day.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I live 5 miles from work, and I bike almost every day. I had a town bike built by a local framebuilder and equipped it like a proper European commuter - mudguards, chainguard, Shimano Nexus 7 internal-geared hub, Brooks B66 leather saddle, totally upright riding position (66cm seat tube) - I love it! I was riding past some kids on BMX bikes and they said "Look at that big-ass bike!" My reply: "I'm a big-ass dude!" (6'5") :lol:

·
Registered
26,010 Posts
pete1 said:
You can't bike in Dallas. Period. You'd be hit and killed by traffic within a week. :thumbdow:
No,you just get stuff thrown at you. You would get hit every other year
and killed every 5 years.

I would love to ride to work,but at 2AM the roads are not very safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
14 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing