Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been looking all over but can't find a definite answer to this. Some people say the wagon panels swap right onto the sedan, others say they don't. Every ebay listing says that door panels fit all models.

Someone please help! I'm in the middle of getting some new panels but I have to know 100% that I'm not making a mistake :cry:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh thanks I didn't want to hear that but I guess sometimes the truth hurts :cry:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hey, I have done this swap without a problem in a B5 and I'm pretty sure that it's the same for a B5.5.

Wagon door panels (rear) will work in a sedan but the other way around doesn't work. Sedan door panels (rear) won't work in a sedan but you can always swap out the insert or the top part of the door panel.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hey, I have done this swap without a problem in a B5 and I'm pretty sure that it's the same for a B5.5.

Wagon door panels (rear) will work in a sedan but the other way around doesn't work. Sedan door panels (rear) won't work in a sedan but you can always swap out the insert or the top part of the door panel.
They will never fit because the shape differs.
The inserts are interchangeable (as mentioned before)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
They will never fit because the shape differs.
The inserts are interchangeable (as mentioned before)
Have you ever done the swap yourself or you just read it somewhere? I have and I know what the difference is.

I have two wagons and one of them got a leather swap from a sedan but the rear bottom seat and rear panel would not fit. To fit the rear panel, you can either swap the center insert or the top part of your panel. Everything else is the same. But, a rear wagon door panel will work in a sedan without a single modification.

I should do it for the heck of it and post pictures. It would only take 10 mins :wrench:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? Is the wagons door panel smaller than a sedans? I looked at comparisons of both and it looked like the top rear and bottom front corners were shaped slightly different

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Time to solve the mistery. I hope that this helps:

Wagon door panel on a sedan:

Sedan door panel on a wagon. No way Jose, it won't even go in :)

Wagon door panel on a sedan. This is the difference but if you have good clips and can live with the gap then it works

Side by side. Sedan door panel on top, Wagon door panel below. Notice how the wagon panel is slighty wider on that corner.

For a perfect fit I recommend swaping this out instead of the center insert.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
This is what i meant with :" It doesn´t fit"
You can also put in a MK2 rearseat in a Passat.....
No need to feel defensive. The mk2 rear seat comment is pointless.

I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for everyone else. Questions like this come up often and nothing better than pictures so people can decide for themselves what they want to do.

It's all good. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh wow thats actually awesome then! No gap or anything? It looks like the top should stick out a little bit since the wagon is a little bit wider.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Oh wow thats actually awesome then! No gap or anything? It looks like the top should stick out a little bit since the wagon is a little bit wider.
no, look closely to the 3rd picture from top down. There's a gap but for some people that might not be a big deal.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah I see now, for some reason I thought that was sedan panel on a wagon too. Hmm I don't know I feel like that would bug me but then again the pictures zoomed in on the gap so it might not look as bad if you don't look too closely

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Reviving and "old" thread....

I'm thinking of getting the door cards of a sedan for my wagon however I'd have to replace the top part of the rear doors... I don't recall how the top part is held together on the card itself.. any ideas or someone with pictures

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
It's melted plastic tabs, much like the center section of the door. There may be pics in the Info Forum under the repairing sagging door cloth or recovering door cloth/leather writeups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts