Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an unfortunate episode this weekend where someone accidentally threw a rock through my wagon's rear luggage compartment window - the one that doesn't open. Then the note they must have left under my wiper apologizing and offering to pay for damages must have blown away cuz when i got back to the car there was nothing but a hole.

My shop manual doesn't seem to even mention this window - or if it does I can't find it.

Does anyone have a procedure, DIY guide or tip on replacing this window? Or a page in the shop manual on where the procedure is?

Appreciate any help.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Not sure what bonded means, but once I saw the replacement procedure I started getting quotes. Too many specialized tools, adhesives (is that the bonded part?), procedures. If I could install it with a 12mm socket I'd go for it...

Looks like the cost to replace is $233 from an auto glass guy.

I'd hate to be the guy that did this to my car - he must be beside himself just sitting and waiting for me to call him but his note blew away. Poor chap....

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not too impressed with the glass installers in my area.

Anyone have any experience replacing a bonded window?
Know what adhesive I should use? Have any tips?

I have the service manual pages but they just give the barest minimum of instruction.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am and I'm thinking I can fix this window.

I'm calling wrecking yards after lunch looking for a nice piece of glass. Just need to find about about that adhesive and any "gotchas" I might run into.

Anyone.....?

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here's the procedure:

1) Call the stealership. Ask them who replaces their bonded windows, since you know they don't do it themselves. Write down the phone number they give you.
2) Call the auto glass place they give you. Ask how much to replace the window if you bring it to them.
3) Go to the stealership. Buy the window.
4) Bring it to the auto glass place.

The window is one of the few OEM parts you can buy from VW that seems to reasonably priced. By "reasonably priced" I mean mine cost $90.

Installation cost me $90. I consider $180 a bargain, considering. If you call an auto glass place and just ask them to replace the window, without mentioning that you know the OEM VW part is only $90, they will try to charge you $200ish for the part alone.

BTW, the quote you get off places like www.glass.net is only a lowball quote to get you to call. When you call they will tell you that was an estimate only. $238.98 is not an estimate. $238.98 is a price. "About $230-240" is an estimate.

I'm sure the guy that accidently threw the rock thru my window knows the Passast community is tight-knit, so he may have asked a few Passat owners if they know my car (blue wagon) and how come I haven't called him about the repair costs. If he talks to you, just tell him the note blew away but I got the repair down and he shouldn't worry about it anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.