Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Wetterauer is a viable option for MT6 owners to chip their W8s.
Distributor in Waterford MI, steveseuropeanauto.com.
They show it as a flash now (used to be soldered), priced at 749.00.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
What fool is going to spend $750.00 on an engine program that a few years ago was $400.00 and when the GIAC program is $600.00? Now there's an Austrian company with a single US distributor called SpeedtuningUSA that has a program for the W8's as well for around $450.00

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
When Kelly was in charge at Wetterauer, she charged me $150 because she used my ecu to map the 6 speed program. It's still in the car, which I just found is at a dealer in Pa for $18,500.. Was almost tempted to go out there and buy it back. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I havent got a chance to call them yet but does anyone know if the chip would remove the speed limiter on the W8's I have gone up to 125 but I know that the car can go further.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had SEA do the APR chip on my car a week or so ago and had inquired about the WETT chip. I don't know how much the pricing changes on the W8, but he did tell be that WETT raised all of the chip prices and it wasn't going over well so they had called them to see about reducing the price. I think he said they should be $395 with the new pricing so you may want to wait until they get that worked out.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
What fool is going to spend $750.00 on an engine program that a few years ago was $400.00 and when the GIAC program is $600.00? Now there's an Austrian company with a single US distributor called SpeedtuningUSA that has a program for the W8's as well for around $450.00
Perhaps a better question is who would buy a chip for a naturally-aspirated engine? At least with a forced-induction engine you can expect to get meaningful power gains from a change in programming.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GIACs W8 chip gives a 26bhp gain at 6,250 rpm (at the wheels)
and 17 lb-ft of torque at 2,750 rps (at the wheels)
The 100 octane file adds another 10bhp and 7 lb-ft at the wheels.
And that on a Tiptronic equipped 4Motion.
35/24 gains at the wheels would be equivalent to a moderate 1.8T chip?

I would say those are decent gains for a normally aspirated motor.
The W8 does have infinitely variable intake timing and 2 setting exhaust timing.
The V6 has two setting intake timing only, no variable on exhaust.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i wouldn't get wett due to their iffy support here. i'd say a chip is worthwile option, as the w8 doesn't really have that many aftermarket parts, so if you want more power, there's not too much you can do. other than that, you can get an exhaust, but that may have to be custom made.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are limited to Wett if you have the manual tranny.
I do like my GIAC chip - sadly I've shut down the "race" 100 octane for the winter. Very strong with Tip in sports mode either way.
Should traction become an issue, I'll bump back down to "stock" settings from the current "pump" performance mode.
The handheld switcher is a NICE option.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
GIACs W8 chip gives a 26bhp gain at 6,250 rpm (at the wheels)
and 17 lb-ft of torque at 2,750 rps (at the wheels)
The 100 octane file adds another 10bhp and 7 lb-ft at the wheels.
And that on a Tiptronic equipped 4Motion.
35/24 gains at the wheels would be equivalent to a moderate 1.8T chip?

I would say those are decent gains for a normally aspirated motor.
The W8 does have infinitely variable intake timing and 2 setting exhaust timing.
The V6 has two setting intake timing only, no variable on exhaust.
I dunno Stew...does 26hp really matter when you already have 275hp? I doubt it. Now, 50hp definitely matters when you have 150hp.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, but the reason most of us modify is to be just a little bit better than the other guy driving the same car. It is a 10%+ increase, but nowhere close to 33% increase as seen on the 1.8T. Much better than the 5-7bhp increase at the wheels on a 2.8 30valve (yes, I chipped my old car too).
Plus it puts me over 300bhp at the crank - a magic number...

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Perhaps a better question is who would buy a chip for a naturally-aspirated engine? At least with a forced-induction engine you can expect to get meaningful power gains from a change in programming.
dsusexaethera, I have to tell you that even Naturally Aspirated engines can benefit from chipping. Changes in the fuel mapping from ECU upgrades not only slightly increases power but changes the torque line and other items. Using the W8 chipped with GIAC's ECU upgrade as an example, the first major benefit is a huge for the 6-Speed Massive: removal of the 1st gear rev-limiter. This is an inconvenience for many W8 owners and it allows you to experience the torque of this car. Another great improvement is the mid-range and high end torque increase! Stock W8's have excellent low-end torque but at highway speeds the power drops off, but when chipped there's more power that's available after the 80MPH and keeps going until you max out. Lastly there's the improved fuel economy found with changing the ECU mapping. I noticed an increase of 2-5MPH after being chipped and with gas prices being so high, any extra is a Godsend.

So essentially I must disagree with you over the limited benefits of chipping a Naturally Aspirated car!

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i am running the wett chip when kelly was selling them I think i got mine for like $300 after mentioning clubb5.

I know that GIAC makes chips for 6-speed and tip

also... does anyone know anything more about the matrix intake for the w8, i know that they produced a prototype but stopped at that for awhile because of other projects. Does anyone have a relationship with them to e-mail them seriously. I don't think that an e-mail from someone they dont know talking about a 3 year old, shelfed project will do anything. Thanks

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I picked up 2mpg after chipping but lost them after installing the 18 inch wheels. With the snows on, I'd hit a little over 25mpg on the highway, 23-ish with the 18's. While my program didn't remove the first gear limiter, I'd grown so used to it that it didn't matter to me. Swami, as for power dropping off at highway speeds stock, I can't agree with you there. Even stock, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd & fourth with relative ease, 4th gear being the money gear. It's perfect for high speed passing if needed to blast passed someone, being good to about 120mph and being torquey enough to lug down to 25-30 mph. Even in 6th gear, a simple pass was just a squeeze of the throttle away. The difference chipped was slight but noticeable, with sharper throttle response but it was more apparent after the exhaust was done. And no more hitting that pesky 130mph limiter just after shifting inot 5th.. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
i am running the wett chip when kelly was selling them I think i got mine for like $300 after mentioning clubb5.

I know that GIAC makes chips for 6-speed and tip

also... does anyone know anything more about the matrix intake for the w8, i know that they produced a prototype but stopped at that for awhile because of other projects. Does anyone have a relationship with them to e-mail them seriously. I don't think that an e-mail from someone they dont know talking about a 3 year old, shelfed project will do anything. Thanks
Jeff, the reason they shelved the project is a lack of interest from W8 owners. Jeremy over at Matrix Integrated was taking deposits for the intake last year but it didn't generate enough folks to merit further development or manufacturing. Unless you can get about 10 other W8 owners to financially commit to purchasing an intake, it might be a moot point.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 20 of 35 Posts