Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great run on the Autobahn today. There was an Audi S4 wagon in front of me in heavy traffic. The guy was fairly impatient and using his brights and left turn signal a lot. Good thing was I just stayed with him at a distance and cleared the traffic with him. About two miles up the road it opened up into a three lane unlimited section. He jumped it hard (tail snap and heavy exhaust) and it was game on. :D I caught him fairly quick and passed him on the right (illegal in Germany) because he wouldn't move over. The pass happened at about 125MPH on a sloping uphill run. I fairly easily pulled away from him. He gave me a :thumbup: as I went by. He pulled off at my exit and asked me to pull over.

He had never seen a W8 before and was surprised to see the motor. He thought I was a normal Passat just trying to screw with him. I was surprised that his V6 "Bi-Turbo" didn't do a better job of hanging with me on the uphill run. His 2000 Audi S4 was impressive...very nice ride. He mentioned that he just had one turbo replaced, I think he might need to get the other one looked at also. It must be a little off because I thought the two cars would be a little better match.

I will keep you guys posted of any other fun runs on the "Bahn" :D

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
damn your lucky....i wish i had the autobahn near me, becuase i would drive on it everyday!
what do you have done to your w8? i really didnt think that it would be able to run with an s4?
....i guess im wrong :???:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Answer to some of the questions:

My W8 is stock, US spec with factory sport susp. and 17" rims. Don't want to void the warranty yet by adding the chip. Can't afford to pay 10 grand for a motor.

He said his S4 had 260 hp. It was German spec., no chip. Still very respectable.

And yes I do love the Autobahn. On days with light traffic I will most always smack the governor. :D I have a 6-7 mile unlimited section that I run every day. :) And yes it is going to suck when I bring it back to the states in two years. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff,
You won't be able to stop. I am addicted to it. I only run 134-138MPH.(US spec) Depends on how I hit the governor. I know I'm pushing the original H-rated tires, but I don't keep it at 134 for more that 20 minutes at a time. Lately I have been hitting it daily. :D

The German dealer has agreed to move my limiter to 155MPH (German legal limit) after I change the tires. (Afraid of legal liability) Only have 8900 miles on it now so I have to be patient and wait for the tires to wear. :mad:

I will have to move the limit back to 134 before I return so that the warranty is still be valid. :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
He's lucky I wasn't there with my unchipped 1.8T...I would have gotten....MY AAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS KICKED!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
For anyone unsure about the performance of the W8, I can attest that this is very accurate. I have raced several non-chipped S4's in the states, and it is interesting how different and similar the two machines are. The S4 will spank me up to about 45 mph, but after that, different story. At 60+, the W8 always pulls away with little effort, and the S4 is soon in the background. Now, (I live at 5280 feet above sea level) if it is hot, or in the mountains, the S4 is a much faster machine. So, that has been my experience.

My W8 is the 6-speed sport package. The S4 is about 150 lbs lighter than the 6-Speed W8, so the HP and Torque figures are relatively the same, just different torque curves.

That is what I know:)

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Vee-acht said:
Answer to some of the questions:

My W8 is stock, US spec with factory sport susp. and 17" rims. Don't want to void the warranty yet by adding the chip. Can't afford to pay 10 grand for a motor.
Vee-Acht, I feel you on that one! While you are in Germany, you might want to consider purchasing a 2nd ECU. I have a stock unit, and one which has the Wetterauer chip installed. Some tuners will even flash your ECU with through the OBD port. This allows you to return to the stock settings before a trip to the dealership..

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
wish I was there, i just want to see what 160 or 170 feels like in my car once.

i say that now, after i do it once, i probably wont be able to stop :wink:

BTW hope you have z rated tires
Well since I now live closer to Philly.... Wanna ride ?!?!?!? :lol:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Vee-acht said:
His 2000 Audi S4 was impressive...very nice ride. He mentioned that he just had one turbo replaced, I think he might need to get the other one looked at also.
that's odd, when turbo chargers are replaced under warranty, Audi clearly states that they have to be replaced in pairs.
unless, of course, his warranty expired.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.