Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any idea what it might cost to replace a tranny on a W8? Mine is acting up and I am going to take it to the steelership to get some opinions.:banghead:

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
tranny Acting up and only 7 posts :hmmm:

but anyway what year, mileage, ? 2002 can get the transmission reflash
but what seems to be the problem with it ?

Dam.... there was a tranny on Ebay for the W8 for $2000 but it had like 20,000 mil ..

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Isn';t the W8 tranny the same 01v as in the other 4mos?
Further, have you tried changing teh fluid? Lots of people have tranny issues fixed with an ATF change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tranny Acting up and only 7 posts :hmmm:

but anyway what year, mileage, ? 2002 can get the transmission reflash
but what seems to be the problem with it ?

I know... Very depressing. Additionally, the car is not holding a charge and I just had to jump it. The transmission light came on the other night and I have noticed that it seems to hesitate and only seems to allow the car to perform at about 50% power. The car is an 03 Variant with 55K

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Could it be an electrical problem as opposed to a mechanical problem? Just a thought since you are having charging issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does anyone here have any idea what it might cost to replace a tranny on a W8? Mine is acting up and I am going to take it to the steelership to get some opinions.:banghead:
With all due respect, when you purchased this vehicle several weeks ago, I and several others on this forum suggested an extended warranty for this car. My recollection is that you were focused on "mods" and took exception to my recomendation in particular.

For your sake, I truely hope that this is a minor issue(s) and that it does not cost you much to resolve.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
He had a light on the dash right, go have the code scanned and that should help alot, could be water intrusion and a bad TCM

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
go to an Autozone for the free OBD2 scan .... if you can VAG-COM it ..
then post what codes you got ....and we can take it from there :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Given the magnitude of the potential problems, and the very low price paid, could this be a Katrina / Rita flood vehicle? It may be worth $25 to run a CarFax report to examine it's history. There could be possible redress against the seller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the magnitude of the potential problems, and the very low price paid, could this be a Katrina / Rita flood vehicle? It may be worth $25 to run a CarFax report to examine it's history. There could be possible redress against the seller.
Thanks to everyone for the pointers. This Forum really does offer a wealth of infromation.
The Carfax was done before I bought it and it is a clean one owner car from DC. Upon better judgement, I took it to my German mechanic and not the dealership tonight and he thinks it is something simple and electrical. He is going to pull the codes and diagnose it for me at no charge. I should know more tomorrow and I will keep this thread posted.
As for the mods, I really am only looking to do cosmetic things and already have gotten many of the parts for this.
I called the individual I bought the car from and he is kicking himself for selling for so cheep! Aparently, he has gotten a ton of calls offering more than asking price. I think he priced it as a non W8 on accident. He has had no issues with the tranny or anything else for that matter and was very concerned for me...
Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again...

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Didn't I mention something about it being electrical?:lol:

Best of Luck and keep us posted. Especially the fault codes.

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Isn';t the W8 tranny the same 01v as in the other 4mos?
Further, have you tried changing teh fluid? Lots of people have tranny issues fixed with an ATF change.
I thought the W8 manual tranny was the same as the one in the S4. :confused:

Edit: Ahhh, it's a tip tranny. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Additionally, the car is not holding a charge and I just had to jump it. The transmission light came on the other night and I have noticed that it seems to hesitate and only seems to allow the car to perform at about 50% power. The car is an 03 Variant with 55K
This is more than likely your problem

A. When the battery has been disconnected and especially when the battery has died and you attempt to restart by jumping the car The ECU will loose basic throttle angle values stored in memory (which were derived from the adaptation that had been performed after origionally installing the battery and running the car)

Also after running the car after a jump or dissconection the ECU will store a throttle valve malfunction and mass air signal code which is very often miss-diagnosed as a bad T-body or mass air sensor.

B. Additionally in cars with Auto trans. The transmission control module can loose its basic settings also which are what it uses to determine when it should shift and also kick down for passing.

All Post 96 OBD II VW and Audi's require that after you have removed power from the ecu you MUST first re-adapt the throttle control module and additionally on Tip trans cars require that after you have completed the throttle adapt you should re-adapt the transmission so that it will know the correct points at which to shift.

Whitout doing this you will end up with a car that idles badly seems to have no power (and in some cases barely runs at all) and a transmission that shifts badly if at all.

THERE IS NOTHING MECHANICALLY WRONG WITH THE CAR

Not sure why this always seems to be overlooked in all the forums.

Here is how you do it on your passat asuming this is a BDP code W8 (most models use the same procedures except the addresses are different on say a MK III VW)
------------------------------------
Throttle re-adapt
In Vag-Com

1. Battery must be charged
2. Engine temp must be between 5 - 95 Degrees Celsius
2. Turn all power consumers off
3. Turn ignition to ON position (but do not start the car)
4. First scan and save codes in log file for future reference
5. CLEAR ALL CODES

(Note throttle pedal must not be moved during re-adapt)
6. Go to "Select Control Module"
7. Go to "01 Engine"
8. Go to 04 "Basic Settings"
Type in address 060 and click "GO"
last field in this address will say "Adapt Run" while test is running
When last field says "Adapt OK" it is done
At this point click Go Back buttons in Vag-Com back to the main screen and turn off ignition to store the new values in the ECU

As long as everything went correctly and there are no actual mechanical issues with the engine or throttle control module engine should run perfectly now.

Now it is time to adapt the Tip Trans

Tip Trans Kickdown Adapt
---------------------------------------
1. Ignition in on position (car not running)
2. Connect Vag-Com
3. Go to "02 Auto Transmission"
4. Go to "04 Basic Settings"
5. Type in address 63 and click go
6. While performing test observe display fields 3 and 4
7. Press Accelerator pedal down past kick-down pressure point and as far as it will go
8. Continue holding gas pedal to floor until field 4 reads "Adapt OK"
9. Release pedal and back up in Vag-Com to main screen and turn off ignition to store settings in Module.

Again Barring any actual mechanical faults transmission should shift perfectly :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts