Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking out of the norm here. Most people want to go up in power / motor size, what if I go the other way?
As some of you know I've got a spare W8 laying around, I was pondering pulling that motor and swapping in a V6. All the creature comforts of the W8 and then with a motor that can get better MPG's with a fuel tank that's 10 gallons bigger, I could get some decent range.
The only reason I'm thinking this is, my daily commute is now minimum 100 miles round trip. Fueling up every 3-4 days is somewhat cumbersome as my preferred fuel stop (cheapest gas around by about 25 cents per gallon) is kind of out of the way. I could easily get a weeks worth of travel with plenty of fuel to spare.
Just kicking around the idea now, but I think it might have some merit.
Thoughts?

Reactions: diesel1024

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hell if you're going that far into it, wouldn't the 1.8t be just as good? They aren't too bad and you can get really great mileage.
It's not that bad of an idea, and for me I'd do the 2.7tt just so you can have the good mileage of the V6, but then have the extra go when you want it.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thought of the 1.8 would be even a better idea from the MPG standpoint. The only reason I don't consider that option is from what @PZ has said. He had a 1.8 with a 6speed behind it, to much underpowered.
The V6 swap for me would be easy peasy as I already have everything needed to do the swap. I've also got a spare ATQ code V6 laying around that I could do a quick rebuild on and I'd be golden.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
I only gained 2.8mpg (at 80mph) going from a V6/Tip 4Mo to the 1.8T/6sp 4Mo. It was actually faster 0-60, but slower after that. It was only a stock 150hp AUG, so a chipped motor would have been ok. For local driving, the 6sp alone made for 25% better mpg.
I don't think it's worth the work for the 2-3mpg gain, but if it's to save a car with a blown engine, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Unless you need AWD, the FWD gets about 25-30% better mileage. My FWD 2.8L Passat wagon got 30mpg and my A6 Avant Quattro gets 20 mpg. It's heavier than the Passat but not 10 mpg heavier. There are times driving over the local treacherous mountain road that I'm glad I have AWD, though.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't really need AWD on the scorching hot pavement, or dry pavement for 11-1/2 months out of the year.
I was merely looking at it from a pure convenience point of view. Driving a minimum of 100 miles per day, I'd be able to get a full 5 work days without having to refuel.
That to me is a big deal as my preferred gas station is not directly on the route to or from home.
There's one QT gas station that is consistently 60 cents cheaper than everybody else.
That and I could get away with using cheapo 87 octane if I had the V6 in the W8 body. That would stretch my $$ even further.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could always pull out the rear end and make the W8 FWD. :p
Now that I said that, I realize how wrong that is. At least from the W8's platform point of view.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Eric,
Hmm.
I've got a Pacific Blue W8 6sp mt I'd like to get off my hands. You and Rob.Achmann can duel it out. :p

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it withstand being daily driven through a Wisconsin winter?
It would certainly handle that, and it's got the right tires on it right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts