Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing H&R Springs on my '02 W8 Variant along with new wheels/tires. My early model W8 was available only with 16x7 wheels. I'm upgrading to 17 x 7.5 ET 35 O.Z. Canyons with 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Should I be changing the shocks as well or are the OEM W8 shocks good? My current mileage on the car is 35k. Is there a market for my original W8 wheels? The 45mm offset is a little unusual. Will they fit anything other than a W8? Spacers? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The OEM W8 "Sports suspension" was different springs used witht he same shocks/struts. I think some people (Swami, VWGuy4ever) used H&R springs in conjunction with Bilstein shocks/ struts).
At 35k, the stock buffers should be still good - but as long as you have the money to spend, might as well go "whole hog". Doing the buffers at a later date will only cost more in labor to do part of the same work?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's kinda what I was thinking. The "Sport Suspension" was unavailable when I bought my car (as was 6-speed, 17" wheels, etc.) so I'm paying the price for my impatient early purchase now. Interesting that the "Sport Suspension" used the same shocks. I've always been a little disappointed in the softness of the suspension. My goal is to make the car handle less like a Buick and more like my Boxster. :) I'm looking forward to the upgrades and have that new car excitement.........hmm...maybe some sway bars.........

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I know - mine I bought used. 2003 Sedan, build date 6/2002, so it must have been early 2003. It only just turned 35,000 miles but I'll do suspension when the time comes.
I maybe should have waited another year, and looked for a late 2004 (turn indicators in mirror housings) and MT6.
But it was available at a good price, so how could I resist?
I test drove one of the first 2002 W8's in FL - it was Blue Spirit as is mine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
IIRC, VWGUY4EVER ran stock shocks with his H&R's
Swami ran Bilsteins among others I believe.
Hopefully they will both chime in on this.

Also, search will turn up LOTS of previous discussion on suspensions.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Dubya8, don't worry the Sports Suspension for the W8 was a huge waste of $$$ and didn't improve any of the handling characteristics of the car.

You should hold tight and do both shocks and springs at the same time. I highly recommend running Bilstein shocks paired with H&R Sports for the W8. The slight rake gives an aggressive stance and the ride is solid and you eliminate the float and nose dives during hard braking.

Here's the Bilstein Part#'s: BE5-6508 (Fronts) & BE5-6511 (Rears). Expect to pay around $500 for the full set.. I must also highly recommend the Panzer Skidplate from DieselGeek just in case you are in a pothole heavy, non road fixing city like NYC or Washington, D.C.

Good luck..

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the p/n's Swami.

After doing some searches I've consistently seen BE5-6508 listed as a Front fitment but have seen both BE5-6509 and BE5-6511 listed for the rear. Is one for the sedan and the other for the variant? Which is which?

The Bilstein website indicates BE5-6511 as a rear fit for 2000-2004 Audi A6 Quattro, A6 Quattro Avant, and 2002 S6 Avant.

The BE-6509 is listed for 2000-2004 A6 Quattro and Quattro Avant but not the S6

Thanks again

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
I've got the "sport suspension" now. What options are available if you don't want your car lowered? There are several driveaways in my area that I already scrape on and the current height also helps in the snow.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Thanks for the p/n's Swami.

After doing some searches I've consistently seen BE5-6508 listed as a Front fitment but have seen both BE5-6509 and BE5-6511 listed for the rear. Is one for the sedan and the other for the variant? Which is which?

The Bilstein website indicates BE5-6511 as a rear fit for 2000-2004 Audi A6 Quattro, A6 Quattro Avant, and 2002 S6 Avant.

The BE-6509 is listed for 2000-2004 A6 Quattro and Quattro Avant but not the S6

Thanks again
Dubya8, don't get confused by the part numbers. This topic has been reviewed many times for about 3 years! Do a search in the forums. Use a direct cross match with the A6 4.2, both the Sedan and Avant use the same part numbers. The BE-6509's are not meant for lowered applications because of the shock travel.

Good luck...

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for clearing things up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dubya8, don't worry the Sports Suspension for the W8 was a huge waste of $$$ and didn't improve any of the handling characteristics of the car
I don't think its a huge waste. The sport suspension is what VW should have come out with at intro as a standard feature to address the heavier curb weight of the W8 due to the engine, larger fuel tank and all-included amenities.
I think the sport suspension package is in-between the set-up of the stock W8 suspension w/16" wheels and the available H&R/Bilstein aftermarket set-up. VW will never offer the full blown set-ups available aftermarket, however they did offer the sport suspension pkg option to respond to the reviews of the suspension after intro in 2002. My coworker got a W8 after I got mine. His is non-sport suspension w/16" wheels, mine is w/the sport pack. We think it's an improvement vs the non-sport suspension. Of course it doesn't approach a H&R/Bilstein set-up. VW isn't going there.
The sport suspension pkg on the B6 3.6L 4Mo is the same VW formula...stiffer shocks, larger stabilizer bar, & +1 larger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think its a huge waste. The sport suspension is what VW should have come out with at model intro as a standard feature to address the heavier curb weight of the W8 due to the engine, larger fuel tank and all-included amenities.
I think the sport suspension package is between the set-up of the stock W8 suspension w/16" wheels and the available H&R/Bilstein aftermarket set-up. VW will never offer the full blown set-ups available aftermarket, however they did offer the sport suspension pkg option midstream to respond to the reviews of the suspension after intro in 2002. My coworker has a W8 that is non-sport suspension w/16" wheels, mine is w/the sport pack. We think it's an improvement vs the non-sport suspension. Of course it doesn't approach a H&R/Bilstein set-up. VW isn't going there.
The sport suspension pkg on the B6 3.6L 4Mo is the same VW formula...stiffer shocks, larger stabilizer bar, & +1 larger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
W84Mo, please reference the writeup I did about 3 years ago when comparing the Sport and non Sport Edition W8's. It's hilarious when I hear owners swear down that the Sport Edition W8 is a grandiose improvement over the non-Sport. This is VW marketing hype at it's best, because all Sport Edition owners got was a set of Madras.

The only difference in the suspensions is a slightly stiffer swaybar and the use of 17" BBS Madras wheels on the Sport Edition. The part numbers for the shocks per ETKA are the same, and the Eibach manufactured springs are slightly stiffer! North American versions of this car didn't even get the stiffer swaybars. The use of slightly stiffer springs does not lower the stance or change any of the handling characteristics of the car, so how can VW call this a Sport Edition. Heck, even importing the 1BE suspension for North American W8's and calling it a Sport Edition would be considered a real upgrade.

I've also tracked both a W8 Sport and Non-Sport editions on 18" BBS VZ wheels and the rides handled the same in a short slalom and on hard lateral turns. Both cars also had major issues with front end nose dipping during high speed braking!

Now as far as current B6 Passats, VW has made distinct changes between Sport and Luxury Edition Passats. i.e. Seats, Paddle Shifting, wood/metallic interior, and suspension. I own a Luxury Edition Passat but plan on adding 1BE swaybars and either running H&R/Bilstein combo or holding tight for a set of KWSuspension V1 coilovers.. The only reason I went for the Luxury Edition over the Sport is I liked the interior and seats.

Good luck, and I hope this helps...

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

·
15,698 Posts
Dubya8, don't worry the Sports Suspension for the W8 was a huge waste of $$$ and didn't improve any of the handling characteristics of the car.

You should hold tight and do both shocks and springs at the same time. I highly recommend running Bilstein shocks paired with H&R Sports for the W8. The slight rake gives an aggressive stance and the ride is solid and you eliminate the float and nose dives during hard braking.

Here's the Bilstein Part#'s: BE5-6508 (Fronts) & BE5-6511 (Rears). Expect to pay around $500 for the full set.. I must also highly recommend the Panzer Skidplate from DieselGeek just in case you are in a pothole heavy, non road fixing city like NYC or Washington, D.C.

Good luck..

Will aka The Swami
Any change is ride height? Or noticeable differences if tire wear after this change?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see references in other related threads to "grooving" the Bilstein shocks. What does this refer to? An alternative I've seen is Koni 82-2516SPORT (front) & 82-2526SPORT (rear). These I believe are adjustable. Is "grooving" required with the Koni's as well?

Sorry for the endless questions but my installer tells me that he does not doubt the Bilsteins will work but since they are not listed for the W8 there is no guarantee or warranty. Thus I need to be sure.......

I sometimes see an H0 suffix on the Bilstein #s. For example: BE5-6508 vs. BE-6508-H0. Is this significant?

Thanks again.....

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Dubya8, don't worry we gotcha covered.. Bilstein offers shocks with notches or grooves to allow you to make slight adjustments to ride height. I didn't use grooved shocks, but to each their own... I'm not a big fan of Koni Sport Adjustable shocks because you spend so much time trying to adjust dampening you ruin the ride. Also since these adjustments must be made while the shocks are off the car, you either must have the patience of Jobe or an installer who is willing to work with you.

The H0 suffix on the part numbers isn't significant, so stop crying!! ;-)

The reason people are using cross matches for the Bilstein shocks is that Bilstein North America will not import shocks specifically for the W8 application. If this is an issue, you can always run coilovers instead of a shock/spring combo for slightly more $$$$. KWSuspension's Variant 1's are highly recommended and EuroStylesEast Tuning has them on sale!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Any change is ride height? Or noticeable differences if tire wear after this change?
Yes, there's a change in ride-height with the H&R Sports. I didn't notice tire wear on the W8 when I ran H&R/Bilstein combo, but I did notice some inner tire wear when I had my car really low on KWSuspensions V3's.. This is a common problem on lowered 4Motions and Audi Quattro cars. I ended up replacing the Upper Control Arms with units from Custom Performance Products which allowed my tuner to get a dead-on alignment. When I switched back to H&R/Bilsteins, I just had my local alignment shop use VW 1BE settings and I was good to go..

Brother Tom, you should know about this stuff.. :thumbup:

·
15,698 Posts
Yes, there's a change in ride-height with the H&R Sports. I didn't notice tire wear on the W8 when I ran H&R/Bilstein combo, but I did notice some inner tire wear when I had my car really low on KWSuspensions V3's.. This is a common problem on lowered 4Motions and Audi Quattro cars. I ended up replacing the Upper Control Arms with units from Custom Performance Products which allowed my tuner to get a dead-on alignment. When I switched back to H&R/Bilsteins, I just had my local alignment shop use VW 1BE settings and I was good to go..

Brother Tom, you should know about this stuff.. :thumbup:
I never really paid much attention to the W8 info before. My B5 did have inner tire wear issues after I lowered it. I really don't want to go the CPP route so I might just stay stock. Since the W8 is a lot heavier than a 1.8T B5 and 4mo only adds to things I thought I would ask.;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone, especially "The Swami" for the help. I'm through procrastinating and I'm going with:

Bilstein BE5-6508 (front shocks) - no grooves
Bilstein BE5-6511 (rear shocks) - no grooves
H&R Sport Springs #54778
17 x 7.5 O.Z. Canyon wheels
225/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Final answer.

I'll follow-up this post when the work is done.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Thanks to everyone, especially "The Swami" for the help. I'm through procrastinating and I'm going with:

Bilstein BE5-6508 (front shocks) - no grooves
Bilstein BE5-6511 (rear shocks) - no grooves
H&R Sport Springs #54778
17 x 7.5 O.Z. Canyon wheels
225/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Final answer.

I'll follow-up this post when the work is done.
My friend, you will love the ride! I like the OZ Canyon wheels, very nice touch.. Be sure to take some pictures.. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts