Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been recommending a Passat W8 to my mother as her next car. I am vaguely familiar to the B5+ Passats but have some questions on the W8 in particular. As it stands, we have found a New 2003 W8 in the midwest at a very agreeable price. It is the right color both on the interior and exterior. The only problem is that the car is a Tiptronic, and not the ultra rare 6 speed. The car does have the Sport package which kinda offsets the transmission (my mom really wanted a manual transmission.) I really want to see mom get into a realiable, safe, and serviceable car for her. Both my brother and I already have our cars, 2003 GLI for me, and a 2002 Jeep for him. On her priority lists were ample power, safety, and AWD. The W8 has this in spades. She loves the luxury items on my Brother's Jeep (power leather seats, 4wd, etc.), and the all out driving enjoyment my GLI delivers.

I feel really weird going into this purchase. I tested both of my Jettas and my brother's Jeep before purchase. I have only driven a 1.8T manual Passat. I am going into this blind as I have never tested a W8 as the dealers in my area do not keep them in stock. Maybe some comments and answers to my questions could put me at ease.

Will the W8 be as much fun to drive as my GLI? How fast does it accelerate? Is the TIP trans a good match for the motor? What does the sport suspension ride and handle like?

More importantly, what is the durability on the W8? I know there have been coilpack issues (former 1.8T owner here :mad: ) will these have been solved in a 2003?

We may be able to lock into a price that is around $32000. Is this car worth the money over a 2004 GLS 4motion?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
A fully loaded 1.8t with 4-Motion could probably be had for a little over 26k. You could chip it, which would make it a LOT faster... The W8 is a pretty heavy car... over 4000 lbs IIRC, the GLS Passat only weighs about 3200 lbs, so the weight kinda offsets the HP gain a tad, but with a Chip, I believe some people have made their cars FASTER t han the W8. I guess you need to drive the car to know, passat's are certainly not the MOST reliable cars out there... but I still love em :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the transmition is the only weak link about the W8 in my oppinion. It is a little laggy, i would go for the 6-speed if at all possible. just my oppionion, i have the tip and still love it though, but it would be much better in a 6-speed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts