Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a used car dealership and he asked me to list a 2003 W8 on eBay for him. He bought the car thinking these things were like finding a unicorn because of there scarceness. I started the bidding at 5k yesterday, however after a day of being on eBay it doesn't seem like there is much interest. What is the average selling price for a 2003 W8? Are they as sought after as he thinks? From reading on this board it seems like everyone has mixed feelings about them. Whats the verdict on these things? Average selling price? It has 87k miles and is really nice. I don't want to post a link to the auction to seem spammy since im a board newb...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Not really what this forum is about. We are not here to help used car dealers sell cars. Also interesting that you do not mention in your ebay listing that you are selling the car for a used car dealer.
Good luck with your auction.

If you own a Passat and need advice we are always here to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really what this forum is about. We are not here to help used car dealers sell cars. Also interesting that you do not mention in your ebay listing that you are selling the car for a used car dealer.
Good luck with your auction.

I appreciate your response. Its a friend of mine who happens to own a used car lot. I'm helping him sell it with my eBay account I didn't want to post a link to seem spammy I started the auction at $5k. I am looking for average resale prices. I can't find any w8's that have even been sold on eBay so I wanted to know if $5k was too high or too low to start the bidding and what the average resale is. And how you guys as owners feel about the car since I am considering buying it for myself. Here is a link to the auction Volkswagen Passat W8 Sedan 4 Door | eBay

·
Registered
387 Posts
oh, its a 6 speed. awesome. Good luck with the sale though. I wouldn't be paying 5K for it, but hopefully there is someone who will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, its a 6 speed. awesome. Good luck with the sale though. I wouldn't be paying 5K for it, but hopefully there is someone who will.
What do you think of them as reliable and repairs? The forum it seems they are expensive to repair is this true? Any major issues with the w8?

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
What do you think of them as reliable and repairs? The forum it seems they are expensive to repair is this true? Any major issues with the w8?
Quite frankly, they have a terrible reputation for both repairs and reliability. There are several trouble areas, starting with the cam chain adjusters and torque converter. Most repairs are very expensive, both because of special, expensive parts ($500 thermostat, anyone?) and the need to remove the engine for many common procedures.

The W8 is rare because it was really a pilot project to gain experience with the W8 engine, which the B5 Passat was never intended to mount. The experiment, shall we say, was not entirely successful.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
As mentioned unless you are a experienced DIY mechanical type with an engine hoist, or a big bag of money you don't need I would not buy the W8. Don't get me wrong, very cool car, and it would be fun to drive for the weekend, but you don't want to marry one.

As to the value, it's what someone wants to pay. There are those out there who love the W8.

Trade In Value $3000

Re-sale in VERY good condition $4500.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As mentioned unless you are a experienced DIY mechanical type with an engine hoist, or a big bag of money you don't need I would not buy the W8. Don't get me wrong, very cool car, and it would be fun to drive for the weekend, but you don't want to marry one.

As to the value, it's what someone wants to pay. There are those out there who love the W8.

Trade In Value $3000

Re-sale in VERY good condition $4500.
Thanks for the reply I checked Kelly Blue Book - excellent condition with 87,000 miles and it came up with this

file_0.jpg

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Not really what this forum is about. We are not here to help used car dealers sell cars.

And this is a general discussion board about B5 Passats, not just the help desk for them ;)

Anyway, I don't think $5000 as a starting price is bad at all. Granted, they're expensive to maintain, a 6 speed W8 in that good of condition might be worth it to another enthusiast if the owner kept up with the maintenance. I'd say that you're in for the long haul on moving it though. You're not really having issues moving the car because of condition, rather, age is the major thing. I'd say you would have better luck in the Classifieds over in the VWVortex. But, you can't establish a bidding war for it there, you'd have to come up with a price... maybe $6.5k OBO? What's he looking to make off of it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this is a general discussion board about B5 Passats, not just the help desk for them ;)

Anyway, I don't think $5000 as a starting price is bad at all. Granted, they're expensive to maintain, a 6 speed W8 in that good of condition might be worth it to another enthusiast if the owner kept up with the maintenance. I'd say that you're in for the long haul on moving it though. You're not really having issues moving the car because of condition, rather, age is the major thing. I'd say you would have better luck in the Classifieds over in the VWVortex. But, you can't establish a bidding war for it there, you'd have to come up with a price... maybe $6.5k OBO? What's he looking to make off of it?
Thanks for the reply, it has 20k in maintenance and repair receipts from VW Seattle so it's in good shape and had "All cam issue's repaired" whatever that means I'm assuming it was a common problem it had. I think he thought he was going to get a lot more than $5k from it because it's such a rare car. Something like only 100 of them in the US from what I have read? Or is that only the wagon version?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts