Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not unfamiliar with a standalone system so that may be my first route. There's some place here in Utah, Turbolab, iirc, down in Provo that tunes boosted cars no matter the type, and there's another that does Vw's specifically. When I get to that point I may end up seeing what they think. I'll try and go down there sometime next week. I've been looking at the intake setup, I might end up having to find an Eaton m112 from a mustang or something, the M90 may end up a bit too small.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I had looked at this before and now I can't remember, but I think the Eaton M112 from a Jaguar is the one to use. Again, memory is my issue right now, but if I'm correct those M112's had a similar set-up as the 2.8 V6 Passat kit. Basically, you want to have the inlet at the back of the s/c and then the bottom of the s/c is where it dumps into the intake manifold. That would keep most everything in it's original position.
You can pick these things up for like $500. Strip them down, rebuild them and have the rotors re-coated for around $1500 all in. Nice cheap horsepower.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, I'm making my best attempt at dropping the engine, trans, and subframe. The wiring is my concern. Would it be best to remove it from the ECU and drop it out as a unit? The alternator and starter wiring is also a concern, as it doesn't fit well away from the body.
Also was working on the supercharger, got some plans, and an idea of what my next steps are. There is no way to make this a kit after the research, unless Eaton wants to custom cast some parts.... Doubtful.

Got the title body area cut down, sending it to a machinist to mill it flat.

And began porting the outlet. This has been a crazy project so far. I also have been making some rough drafts of an intercooler to mount below, which means I really need to cut the hood now. So, a custom hood is now in order.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Well, I have yet to pull a W8 engine but if it's anything like the V6 or 1.8, Disconnect the harness at the ECU and some other minor connections, grounding wires in various spots, obviously any hoses.
Disconnect the axle shafts at the transaxle, remove the rear prop shaft, remove the trans mounts, unbolt engine mounts, unbolt the struts on top of the strut towers and yank the whole thing out as one. I may have left a few minor pieces out but you get the gist.
That's how I've done every V6 pull. I've pulled about 20 V6's since 2011. It got to the point where members here in the forum were making fun of me. I got real good at it the last 3 or 4 times.
Every one of these pulls I've done by myself with no extra help. Very doable.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I might be willing to offer my CAD services for an adapter plate from the s/c to manifold. I don't think it would be that difficult.
Mind you, I've contemplated this exact type of project for a number of years. I've since given up on it because I have an even more crazy idea that I'm pretty sure has never been done.
My only issue at the moment, I'm going to be traveling a lot until after the 1st of the year.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well that might be a good thing to get help building. I decided to just drop the entire subframe. It was easier to just pull the entire wiring harness. Last thing I gotta drop is the rear drive line and the socket broke. So I'm gonna wait till tomorrow now.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Check out my PM's.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
What happened to the back of the s/c housing? Did a chop saw fall on it or what?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
W8 intake - top side

Adapter plate - mounts to top of W8 intake.
Then obviously some kind of transition to mate up with the bottom side of the s/c.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
ISO view

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A student used a bandsaw to hack it off. Another at the machinist school is going to mill it flat. The plate I'm thinking of will have the intercooler inside, and go from the lower intake up to the bottom of the charger.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
The plate I'm thinking of will have the intercooler inside, and go from the lower intake up to the bottom of the charger.
Very doable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, had some good things go through this week. Got the blower housing machined flat, and found a suitable spacer to be used for the throttle body. I dropped off the nose cone and shaft to get shortened, should be done by end of next week. Andreas would it be better to mock up a piece here for the intake, and send it to you, or should I just try something here and we can work it out later?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts