Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Vdub guys and gals. So this is just a discussion of interest to see who would be wanting to look into some performance for our special engines. Here's what I mean, I have an extra complete W8 car, and I'm going to pour in some time to make and research some special parts. I'm just wanting to know from my fellow owners, what would you be interested in? I'm going to look into making some headers, a full exhaust, and possibly either a turbo setup adapted from a 2.7 twin, and my buddy runs a foundry and I'm going to look into casting an intake setup for an Eaton M90/M112 setup. Yes I know, it's been talked about at great lengths, but would there still be interest in parts like this? I have time, and patience with it, so just let me know what else you guys would like to see available.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Looks like someone's been reading some of my past posts.
Exhaust kits are already out there. Have one my W8. Headers would be good. Turbo's from a 2.7tt wouldn't be big enough. You'd need turbos twice as big. The W8 is a 4.0 liter
You would need to put an intercooler between the supercharger and the intake. Injectors would need to sapped out. Maybe injectors from a W12 would work.
Then find somebody to do a tune and flash the ECU.
Not trying to sound negative, but I have all the same thoughts with a spare W8 laying around, but considering the amount of work that it would need, swapping out the W8 for an Audi 3.0 TSFI V6 engine would be far more productive. The 3.0 V6 can get an easy 400hp at the wheels with just a tune. That's my current plan with my W8 anyways.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like someone's been reading some of my past posts.
Uhm, yeah, I've read a great deal of yours. ? I was going to base the twin setup off the 2.7, not copy and paste essentially. For the supercharger, you don't really have to go with an intercooler, the GM and Ford units don't. It just doesn't run high boost is all, I've seen the 2.8 in a Passat with the M90 on it, so I might be able to get it.
I've looked at the exhaust systems, haven't really found a bolt in unit, but I really haven't put much effort. There's some guys near me that tune Vws, mostly 1.8t setups. And, your not negative, just, practical?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
As far the supercharger goes, if I were to go that option, I'd opt for M112. More volume at less pressure = less heat.
I've even considered a stand alone intercooler. Again, if I were to go that route, I'd use the same setup as the G2 style s/c so I could set it right on top of the engine with a modified lower intake manifold.

I gotta admit, the cool factor of having a s/c'd W8 is very enticing to say the least.

I'm 'the' programmer here at my work for all of the CNC's, so I've got a lot of resources at my fingertips.
Not to mention I have all of my own CAD / CAM software.

All this fantasizing has got me thinking again.
Just need to get out of the apartment living and get into a house. ?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
For the supercharger, you don't really have to go with an intercooler, the GM and Ford units don't. It just doesn't run high boost is all, I've seen the 2.8 in a Passat with the M90 on it, so I might be able to get it.
It is a known fact that the G2 set-up had heat problems and running with factory cast pistons is not an optimal setup. The reason why PES developed the G3 version.
Using a water / meth injection will help keep the heat down if you want to stay stock and run the original size pulley.

A few members here on this forum from back in the day had G2 superchargers. Some had issues some not. The guys didn't have issues weren't hot rodding around like crazy either.
Can't remember who it was, but one member was out at the track one day and burned holes completely through a few of his pistons. Doubt if those pictures are still around.

By the way, there's a brand never used G2 kit up for sale in New York. Or at least that's the claim.
PES G2 kit for sale / Facebook

I don't know what the deal is with the Facebook sale though. Those exact same pictures posted on the Facebook Market place are found on the internet from OfferUp more than two years ago.
G2 kit on OfferUp

If this is the real deal, $2k for a complete unit is a very nice price. Just gotta figure out who is going to do your ECU reprogramming. Maybe PES would still do it.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Member KeithBloom (yeah that guy) has a custom built intercooler.
Searching the forum will net those results.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
I expect it would be easier to run a standalone system unless you have emission testing. The 2.7T has kits for larger turbos that would be perfect for the W8, but expensive. There are also side/bottom mount superchargers from the Audi 4.2 that might work on the W8.

Swami tracked the S/C V6 4Mo, then bought a W8.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Swami tracked the S/C V6 4Mo, then bought a W8.
Wow, I forgot about him. Does anybody still have contact with him?

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
He was in the DC area, not sure if anyone kept in touch. I do remember he used to be "TheGreatSwami" until he got beat by a kid in a 10 second Honda.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
He was in the DC area, not sure if anyone kept in touch. I do remember he used to be "TheGreatSwami" until he got beat by a kid in a 10 second Honda.
Ouch, by a ricer.
Kidding aside, I do have to admit that Honda does make some nice stuff.
Back in WI with my ex-wife, we had a 2004 Honda Odyssey van. It had the 240hp VTECH 3.5L V6 motor. That thing hauled ass and got incredible gas mileage. Somewhere north of 30mpg's.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Yeah, he faded off into the sunset not long after I signed up. A wealth of knowledge, he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Yeah, he faded off into the sunset not long after I signed up. A wealth of knowledge, he was.
He sure was.
Some of those past members are really missed around here.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would absolutely jump at the chance for some headers. I've been pricing pistons from JE, forged rods, looking for torque converter options. An automatic wagon is never going to be the fastest thing on Earth, but I'd love to squeeze out a little more go from something that sounds so good and is a very questionable relationship for most people. My goal had always been a moderately spicy n/a build, but a supercharger option would make this car. Not a lot of room to work with for turbos as far as I know, but what I know is limited as far as fabrication. The wiring for stand-alone is intimidating to me, but no matter who I talk to, that seems to be where it's headed if it does anything more than breathe a little easier.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I would absolutely jump at the chance for some headers.
If you REALLY want to throw some $$ around, MSDS Headers These guys will fabricate you a set to the tune of around $300 per port.
Yeah I said that right and you read that right.
So for around $2400 you could have a set of ultimate headers for the W8. They can ceramic coat them too. I talked to the guys over at MSDS last year. Great guys, but are really steep for prototypes.
I've wondered if I gave them a 3D CAD model if the price would go down. :unsure:

Reactions: Ekimdar

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
That's not a lot more than the V6 headers, they were $1500 per set.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My plan is to build some stainless headers. The s/c option would be nice, I'm just trying to find a way to squeeze 400 out of one is all.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
If your really ambitious, shoe horn in a W12 from a VW Phaeton. 444hp out of the box.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Curiosity had gotten the better part of me. I contacted PES Tuning. They told me they would/could program the ECU and tune the s/c to proper boost levels and injector size.
The very vague part of the conversation was price. I'm guessing a couple grand.
So...
It can be done.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Reactions: AndreasPassat
1 - 20 of 33 Posts