Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent a lot of time getting around my 4.0 engine. Its done a few kms now, I owned an old HK Holden once and think it was better.

If you have a loss of coolant, and cant find where, there is a high possibility it will be coming from the engine block. VW in all their worst possible designs have inserted a coolant steel tube into the rear of the block - both sides, sealed by an o-ring. We all know o-rings fail after a time, its to be expected, but to fail on lines that would necessitate so much removal of components - or infact an engine "out" job, is, and I say, "dumbass". Yep. Even once I was able to get the pipe free, it still wouldnt get past between the catalytic converter and the trans housing. Hows that?? Ha

So I have just done the LH side, now I will do the RH.

In all honesty, if you find these leaking just take your engine out. I should have done it I just didnt expect to have too. B

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've never, ever, heard anyone complain about service access on the W8 engine before. (GRIN)

Seriously, removing the engine is actually the factory-recommended technique to do almost anything on one of these.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I have yet to do much to my car in a serious repair but that's what I've come to think. It might just be better to remove the whole thing. Real tight clearance in that bay, even worse than the V6 models.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Good thing you are able to do the work, imaging having to pay for that work for just a coolant leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts