Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought an 03 Passat w8 sedan automatic that has been sitting for about 5-6 years. It has 109k, and I cannot get it to start. Previous owner went through a bunch of electrical stuff and made a spaghetti mess in the engine bay. The car has one code:
00290-030 “left rear ABS wheel speed sensor-G46-open circuit/short circuit to B+.
I have changed the crank sensor, traced the wiring back, checked fuel pump on bench, changed 428 and 409 relay, compression test, verified chain was on tight, and checked all fuses. Still no luck. Any suggestions before I decide to start it on fire or part it out?

·
Registered
28,506 Posts
Some more info would help. Does it crank over? Any sounds of firing or not? Do the fuel injectors actually spray fuel? Is the electrical mess causing the issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more info would help. Does it crank over? Any sounds of firing or not? Do the fuel injectors actually spray fuel? Is the electrical mess causing the issues?
Cranks over ok, I traced the wiring back to the ecu, all is ok. I do get 5v at the connector, but still am getting no rpm signal. I’m wondering if the sensor itself was bad from factory. No fuel pressure, no spark. I’ve heard the pump turn on twice, but only momentarily. I also think that these issues arise from the no rpm signal

·
Registered
28,506 Posts
The engine speed sensor is probably shot as it should give a rpm signal to the dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts